zoomImage Courtesy: Stena Line Swedish ferry company Stena Line has increased its capacity between Karlskrona and Gdynia with the addition of another ship on the route.The company said that its 170-meter-long Stena Nordica entered the service as the fourth ship to connect the Sweden and Poland on October 6, in an effort to meet the strong demand in growth for freight and passengers.Previously, the route was operated with three RoPax vessels and one cargo vessel. With Stena Nordica, the route is now operating with four RoPax vessels, which will provide freight and passengers with a choice of up to four departures a day from each port.“We have had strong growth in recent years, and we are still experiencing a strong demand for increased capacity from both freight customers and passengers. This means we must continue to invest and adjust our tonnage to match the needs of our customers, and to add the Stena Nordica on this route is a very important step,” Marek Kiersnowski, Trade Director of Stena Line’s routes between Sweden and Poland, said.The 2000-built Stena Nordica, which has been refurbished and modernized both internally and externally, will sail on the route with Stena Vision, Stena Spirit and Stena Baltica.The unit has a passenger capacity of 450 and a loading capacity of 1,950 lane meters.
By Jorge BarreraAPTN National NewsOTTAWA–Federal Aboriginal Affairs officials travelled to Attawapiskat at least 10 times this year, including three times in October, but it appears none of these visits triggered any concerns with the department about the state of housing on the reserve.The Conservative government announced Wednesday it would be immediately turning over the management of the community to an outside consultant following a visit by department officials who concluded the health and safety of residents there demanded immediate action. The department also has an engineer on site tasked with finding a way to get residents into warm and safe housing.Several families are living in tents and in shacks with no running water as deep winter-like temperatures have begun to settle over this community of 2,000 on the shores of James Bay.The living conditions in the community have been described as “inhumane” and “life threatening” by the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario.About 90 people are also living in a large trailer that was donated two years ago by the mining company operating a diamond mine about 90 kilometres away.The Canadian Red Cross has also intervened with supplies and managing donations and the situation has turned, according federal opposition parties, into a national scandal. The issue dominated question period Wednesday as both the NDP and Liberal interim leaders unleashed a barrage of questions against the government over the issue.Yet the repeated visits by department officials to the community did not raise any concerns until this week.Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan told the Commons Aboriginal affairs committee that department officials visited the community on Oct. 21, 25 and 31. He also said department officials visited the community on Sept. 2, July 12, July 7, July 2, April 12, May 19, and March 15.“We’ve had people in the community for months and months dealing with the school construction and other things,” said Duncan, in response to questions from Liberal Aboriginal affairs critic Carolyn Bennett.The school is not scheduled to be completed until 2013, but it only came as the result of a persistent campaign by students there who were tired of attending classes in portable trailers. Their previous school was built on toxic land.Duncan said the department only received the band’s state of emergency document last Thursday.“When a First Nation wants to declare a state of emergency they do so in a format that reaches us, that did not happen,” said Duncan. “There was no state of emergency delivered. When we did receive it, it had no specifics attached to it.”Duncan announced Wednesday during a heated question period over Attawapiskat that the community would be put under third-party management, meaning the chief and council would no longer be in control of the band’s finances which would be handled by a consultant.Third-party management is the most extreme and intrusive step the department can take to deal with a band.The Conservative caucus clapped in approval when Duncan made the announcement.“On the ground assessment has determined that health and safety issues demand immediate action,” said Duncan. “We are placing the First Nation in third party management. We are also requesting a comprehensive audit.”Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence had been pleading for help from Ottawa and Ontario.Spence now has no authority over the band’s financial management.Fresh off a trip from the community, NDP interim leader Nycole Turmel led off question period with a call for the prime minister to visit the community and see for himself the dire situation facing the residents there.“You should sleep in a shack with a sleeping bag,” said Turmel, during question period. “You will see that the sleeping bags provided by the Red Cross are not the solution. Where is the action? Where is the leadership?”Harper brushed off Turmel’s call and said his government would be acting to fix the “management problem” in the community of Attawapiskat.“This government has invested more than $90 million into this community since coming into office,” said Harper. “We will be announcing additional steps to deal with management problems in this community.”NDP MP Charlie Angus, who has championed Attawapiskat’s cause, accused the government of blaming the community for its woes.“Their solution is to blame the community,” said Angus, whose riding includes the community. “Why is it when a First Nation community is in distress does this government’s response is contempt?”Liberal interim leader Bob Rae also attacked the government for blaming Attawapiskat for its dire condition.“The government that should be placed under this party management is the government across the aisle,” said Rae. “This government is all hat, no cattle.”A recent audit of the community found irregularities in the band’s handling of its finances.The July 31 audit found faulty record keeping on expenditures and accounts payable.It also found, among other things, that money was being paid out from funds the community receives from the First Nations run Casino Rama without proper documentation or approval from chief and council.The audit also found that the band was not putting together budgets on how it would spend its money throughout the fiscal year. It also found problems with how the community recorded its welfare payouts.Spence has said that the $90 million the government has touted is spent on the community includes all the band’s services since 2006, a large portion of which goes to education.Spence told APTN National News that it costs about $1 million to build four houses on the reserve.De Beers, the mining company that operates the diamond mine near the community, paid $3 million for the trailer that is now flashing cross television screens as a symbol of the dire conditions in the [email protected]
South Zone: 31 cases, an increase of 138.5 percent compared to 2017Calgary Zone: 206 cases, an increase of 7.3 percent compared to 2017Central Zone: 88 cases, an increase of 266.7 percent compared to 2017Edmonton Zone: 977 cases, an increase of 305.4 percent compared to 2017North Zone: 208 cases, an increase of 324.5 percent compared to 2017 In 2018, a total of 1,536 cases of infectious syphilis were reported compared to 161 in 2014, almost a tenfold increase. The government shares this rate of infectious syphilis has not been this high in Alberta since 1948.While congenital syphilis cases were rare before the outbreak, There were 22 congenital syphilis cases between 2014 and 2018, one of which was stillborn. Congenital syphilis, which occurs when a child is born to a mother with syphilis, is a severe, disabling and life-threatening disease.Consistent and correct condom use is an important protection against STIs such as syphilis.As with other STIs, the symptoms of syphilis may not be obvious.Health experts recommend sexually active people, regardless of gender, age or sexual orientation, get tested every three to six months if they:have a sexual partner with a known STIhave a new sexual partner or multiple or anonymous sexual partnershave a previous history of an STI diagnosishave been sexually assaultedIt is critical that anyone who is pregnant seeks early prenatal care and testing for syphilis during pregnancy.Anyone experiencing STI-related symptoms should seek testing and speak to a family doctor to find testing and treatment options.In the 2018 case counts for infectious syphilis by AHS zone: EDMONTON, AB – Infectious and congenital syphilis rates have escalated across the province over the past five years, with a sharp increase in 2018.Due to the rapid increase in syphilis cases, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, has declared a provincial outbreak and is encouraging Albertans to get tested and protect themselves.“We need to emphasize for all Albertans: Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) are a risk to anyone who is sexually active, particularly people who have new sex partners and are not using protection. I encourage anyone who is sexually active to get tested regularly. Anyone in Alberta can access STI testing and treatment for free,” said Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Chief Medical Officer of Health.
Sanaa: An explosion near two schools in the rebel-held Yemeni capital killed 14 children and wounded 16, the UN said Tuesday, but the cause of the weekend blast remains unclear. Most of the child casualties in the city’s Saewan district were girls under the age of nine, according to statements by both the UN children’s fund (UNICEF) and the UN special envoy for Yemen. Yemen’s Huthi rebels have accused a Saudi-led military coalition backing the government of carrying out an air strike. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US The coalition denied conducting any air raids on the capital on Sunday. “A blast in Sanaa this week killed 14 children and critically injured 16. This is what UNICEF was able to verify, with the actual number of children killed and injured likely to increase,” said UNICEF’s Middle East and North Africa director, Geert Cappelaere. “It was almost lunchtime and students were in class. The blast shattered the windows and unleashed a burst of shrapnel and broken glass into the classrooms.” Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls The United Nations and international aid groups have called for an investigation into the Sunday explosion but have not apportioned blame. The World Health Organization estimates nearly 10,000 Yemenis have been killed since 2015, when Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened to prevent the defeat of the government in the face of a rebel offensive. Human rights groups say the real death toll is several times higher. The conflict has pushed millions of Yemenis to the brink of mass starvation, in what the UN has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Both sides stand accused of actions that could amount to war crimes. The coalition has been blacklisted by the UN for the killing of children. Saudi Arabia and its allies accuse the Huthis of using civilians as human shields in densely populated areas.
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has said the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) never made promises of transferring Rs 15 lakh into bank accounts of the people. “Never said Rs 15 lakh will come (to accounts of people). We had said that we will take action (karyawahi) against black money. Action is being taken against black money. It was our government which made SIT on the topic of black money,” a news agency quoted Rajnath Singh as saying. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The statement of the Union minister comes in the backdrop of opposition parties slamming the BJP for making false promises to woo the people of India ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and repeating it yet again in 2019. Bringing black money was one of the key issues for the 2014 elections. In this year’s manifesto of the BJP, there is a mention of cracking down on parallel economy but it doesn’t occupy pride of place in speeches by political leaders. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KThe opposition, especially the Congress, has been quick to point out that the BJP has not delivered on ‘bringing back home illegal wealth stashed abroad’ as was promised. Refuting allegations of political vendetta behind Income Tax Department and Enforcement Directorate raids on opposition leaders and their aides, home minister Rajnath Singh said the agencies are autonomous bodies and they are acting on their inputs. In an interview to ANI, Singh said, “The agencies which are conducting raids are autonomous bodies. Model Code of Conduct does not apply to them. They are acting on their inputs. How can we stop them?”
Sophomore forward Shayla Cooper (32) attempts a shot during a game against Iowa on Feb. 21 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 100-82.Credit: Ryan Cooper / Lantern photographerDecember brought a joyful celebration season for the Ohio State women’s basketball team, even before Christmas rolled around.Dec. 22 marked the first time 6-foot-2 sophomore transfer Shayla Cooper took the court dressed in the scarlet and gray.The 96-54 drubbing of West Virginia was a turning point in the season for OSU as Cooper became the root of much improvement to follow.“We have gotten more tough rebounds and our post defense has been better since her addition,” coach Kevin McGuff said of Cooper. “She is a good player and has really helped us, that’s for sure.”Cooper, who transferred from Georgetown, joined the Buckeyes last spring. NCAA regulations forced her to sit out the first 11 games this season before joining her new team on the court.“When the season started this year, I was just more anxious to play,” Cooper said. “We had a countdown, every game, it was one less until I could play.”Coming from a private Catholic school like Georgetown to a large public school like OSU has been a surprisingly easy transition for Cooper, she said, in large part because of her teammates, coaches and the great people she has met in Columbus.“It’s more about the people,” Cooper said. “The people here are way nicer than back in D.C. and the environment is just different.”Cooper attributed much of her success in making the transition to junior guard Ameryst Alston and the overall closeness of the Buckeye team.“Ameryst and I have gotten really close,” Cooper said. “She was one of my hosts when I came to visit and I could tell from just interacting with her those first couple days that she would be someone I would get close to.“We tend to laugh around all the time,” Cooper said of the team. “We get on each other and joke around a lot, but that is what makes it fun. It’s a fun, happy environment to be around.”The transition on the court has been just as easy for Cooper as it has off the court. It has been her intimidation factor and aggressive play that has lifted the Buckeye defense since she became eligible, freshman guard Kelsey Mitchell said.“When she is aggressive, it makes it easier for everybody else,” Mitchell said. “She is a dirty type of player, a trash talker. You are never going to find a person like that, let alone a player like that. I’m grateful and I’m glad to have her on the team.”McGuff said it is Cooper’s aggressive nature that has allowed the team to get better defensively because she can match up with the bigger players OSU has faced.“She gives us different options on how we want to play defensively,” McGuff said. “We put her on the bigger player because she is a little bigger and stronger and does a good job pushing opponents out of the paint.”Although she’s not the biggest at her position, Alston said she believes it’s the intimidation factor that allows Cooper to have so much success down low.“She is really strong, I think she intimidates a lot of players,” Alston said. “She is definitely someone we need.”Cooper has solidified her spot as the sixth man for the Buckeyes and unlike most players who would rather be in the starting lineup, she said she has relished the opportunity.“It’s fun,” Cooper said of her position in the OSU lineup. “My sophomore year of high school, I came off the bench, and then the next year I started. I am fine coming in as a sixth man and cleaning up everything and always knowing what I need to do.”Since her addition, OSU has gone 14-5 and secured the third seed in the upcoming Big Ten Tournament.Cooper said she believes she made the best choice of her career in coming to OSU and thinks this is just the beginning of her efforts to change the Buckeye program around.“I thought this could be my second chance in having the opportunity to change a program around,” she said. “So far, so good. I am loving every minute of it.”
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Dominica, January 17, 2018 – Loubiere – It could have been a far worse report coming out of Dominica when a looming hunk of dirt left hovering since Hurricane Maria finally collapsed, creating a scary situation in Loubiere as children played in the street. Loubiere is one of the areas hardest hit by September 2017’s Hurricane Maria; the southern community recorded a high loss of life and human casualties in the fierce storm which decimated the island.Dominica News Online reports that they first got information of the landslide on Monday night, their check on Loubiere on Tuesday morning revealed that thankfully, no one was hurt. One lady reported hearing a large sound; it was the collapse of some dirt and there is another area which the neighborhood is reportedly monitoring, as it too is expected to fall.Authorities are not yet officially commenting, but there is word that some people have been made to evacuated Loubiere following the landslide. It was unclear if the collapse of the dirt was weather related, or just gravity at work. It is forecast to rain today in Loubiere. #loubieredominica#landslide#magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp