NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say May 13, 2021 Find out more News Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state May 5, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more MexicoAmericas Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Mexico RSF_en to go further July 3, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Break-in at Mexico City-based independent magazine 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies News News Organisation Reports MexicoAmericas Receive email alerts Burglars remove computers, files and notebooks, after disconnecting surveillance camerasReporters Without Borders calls for more protection for the staff of Contralínea, a Mexico City-based independent magazine whose offices were broken into and ransacked on the night of 23 June, two months after a break-in at the home if its editor, Miguel Badillo.Before removing computer equipment and files from Contralínea’s offices, the unidentified burglars cut the cables of the surveillance cameras that the Mexico City prosecutor’s office installed in 2012 under the Federal Protection Mechanism for human rights defenders and journalists.The security measures had been requested by the United Nations and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), which were alarmed by the previous attacks on the magazine’s premises and personnel.After the latest break-in, the magazine’s management filed a complaint with the prosecutor-general and requested that the protective measures be extended to all of its staff.Badillo told Reporters Without Borders that no fewer than 19 computers, one video camera, three TV screens and a radio recording device, along with files, computer hard disks and notebooks, were taken during the 23 June break-in.He said he also reported the break-in that two armed men carried out in his absence at his home on 18 April. So far, the authorities have not identified any motive and the prosecutor-general’s investigation seems to have stalled.“We call on the Mexican authorities to immediately extend the protective measures and to expand them to cover Contralínea’s entire staff,” said Camille Soulier, the head of the Reporters Without Borders America’s desk. “We also ask the prosecutor-general to ensure that those behind the break-in are quickly identified and punished in order to guarantee respect for Contralínea’s work.”Break-ins, searches and judicial harassment have become routine for Contralínea. It has repeatedly been sued by companies, including Zeta Gas, Blue Marine Technology and Oceanografía, in connection with its investigative reporting on corruption. Three lawsuits initiated in 2007 are currently being heard.In December 2013, the IACHR and Mexico’s interior ministry began investigating the various human rights violations against Contralínea’s journalists.Threats and other acts of intimidation against journalists often lead to fatalities in Mexico, where two journalists have already been killed since the start of the year. Contralínea’s founder, Ana María Yarce Viveros, was found murdered on 1 September 2011 after being abducted as she left its headquarters.Mexico is ranked 152nd out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.
Advertisement Previous articleBus Éireann boost services while contributing €40million to Limerick’s economyNext articleLimerick GAA sides in preseason action Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie NewsLocal NewsSinn Féin recalls the legacy of Seán SabhatBy Alan Jacques – January 8, 2015 1082 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Facebook Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival TAGSCllr Lisa Marie SheehyCllr Maurice QuinlivanlimerickSean SabhatSinn Fein by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE annual commemoration of Limerick republican Seán Sabhat’s death last Sunday provided the local Sinn Féin organisation with a platform to build support for the party’s aim of “achieving Irish unity and a fairer society”.After assembling in Bedford Row, the 250-strong crowd marched to Sabhat’s grave at Mount St Lawrence Cemetery where Sinn Féin party council leader Cllr Maurice Quinlivan, predicted that 2015 will be a very important year for both Sinn Féin and Ireland.“We will more than likely have a General Election and we are now the lead party of opposition both in Limerick and across Ireland. Our party was the clear voice for change in the recent elections and we appreciate the support we were given then,” he said.A wreath was laid at Sabhat’s grave on behalf of the Republican Movement by Eileen Shields from Navan before the main address from Sinn Féin councillor Lisa Marie Sheehy who said she believed Sabhat would be proud to see how things have come along in the party but not so proud to see the state of the country, “where emigration, poverty, housing crisis and other important issues are not being adequately addressed”.“We look at society today, the divide is still prevalent perhaps caused by the lack of political will by past and current governments to actively create an equal society. Still the rich get richer and the poor get poorer due to the lack of protection of vulnerable people in society.“I think people see through this now where we as citizens cannot be fooled by budgets where they seem to give something back to people but take it out of another pocket. In fact people are voting a lot more cautiously, once followed the lead of a parent, now looks at how the government’s decisions affect them,” the Cappamore-Kilmallock councillor said. Print Email Twitter Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live . Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Linkedin WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads