first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionCranford United 3 Donegal Town 1 Cranford got their first win of the league campaign with a impressive performance against a big physical Donegal Town team. The first half hour was a tight affair with few chances but in the 34th minute Donegal took the lead when centre forward Benny Byrne robbed the Cranford sweeper and cooly slotted home . Cranford should have levelled on the stroke of half time when Arthur Lynch headed down a corner but Shaun Mc Ilwaine somehow put the ball over the bar. Cranford started the 2nd half brightly and pushed Donegal back. After missing a couple of chances they got their reward when a Marty Mc Bride’s cross was driven home from the edge of box by Shaun Mc Ilwaine. Five minutes later Cranford had the lead, a quick throw from Chris Duffy found Kyle Black who lifted the ball over the defender and volleyed home. Cranford continued to press hard and created loads of clear cut chances but the Donegal keeper kept them at bay. They were rewarded in the 75th minute when flying winger Marty McBride scored with the help of a slight deflection. Best for Cranford were Chris Duffy, Kyle Black and Marty Mc Bride. Team effort from Donegal Town.Watson Hire Division OneKeadue Rovers 3 Gweedore United 2Keadue Rovers claimed a vital victory to move themselves away from the relegation zone in Division One. It was the visitors who went ahead on three minutes, Ciaran McFadden striking superbly to the top corner. By the fifteenth minute Gweedore were in control when Ciaran McFadden scored a lovely solo goal taking the ball from the left, beating a few defenders and slotting to the net. On nineteen minutes Keadue were back in it when Corey Gallagher punished a defensive mix-up and squeezed the ball over the line. Following a good spell from the home side David McCarron was brought down by the keeper but the resultant penalty was struck against the bar. While Keadue continued to press for the remainder of the half Gweedore were keeping them at bay and the keeper wasn’t tested. Into the second half and Keadue started well. Gweedore had a good period of possession around the hour mark and were dangerous at some set pieces. On sixty eight minutes Mark Boyle had a fine effort saved by the Gweedore keeper. On seventy minutes Keadue equalised when, following a clearance by the Gweedore defence, Keadue’s Paul Ferry hit a good effort from the edge of the box which took a slight deflection on its way to the net. At that stage it looked like a draw would be the likely outcome but following a ball out of the home defence Corey Gallagher took the ball round the last defender and keeper and slotted home for the winner. Gweedore pressed hard for an equaliser but couldn’t breach the home defence. Overall a good victory for Keadue for whom Corey Gallagher, Ryan Rodgers and Mark Sweeney played well and for Gweedore United Ciaran Gillespie, Niall Friel and Frank McGee were impressive. Referee: Paddy DuffyEany Celtic 1 Bonagee United 2Liam Mc Monagle got Bonagee off to the perfect start when he latched o to a loose ball in the Eany penalty box following a corner kick in the 5th minute. Eany took a while to settle into the game and had several chances to equalise but found the visitors keeper in good form. The first half ended 0-1. The home side started the second half where they left off in the first and their efforts when rewarded when Barry Rose was upended in the box. Rose put Eany level from the penalty spot. The game went end to end for the rest of the second half and the visitors scored their second goal in the 75th minute with a counterattack following an Eany breakaway. Martin Hunter found space to have a shot from outside the box and put Bonagee ahead. Eany worked hard for the equaliser their performance deserved but time ran out.CT Ball Division Two Deele Harps 1 Ballybofey United 3Deele played host to Ballybofey in what turned out to be a very open game. As early as the 2nd minute Gavin Gallagher dragged a shot wide from 20 yards. In the 15th minute the home side again went close when Conor Catterson headed straight at the keeper. That miss proved costly as two minutes later Andy Duncan fired Ballybofey ahead after his initial shot was saved. Ballybofey were on top at this stage and forced a succession of corners and were turning the screw. The away side increased their lead in the 32nd minute when a flick on by David White found Darragh Redmond and the striker beat two defenders before his deflected shot looped over Christy Roulstone in the Deele goal. From the restart a fine passing move involving Seamie and Gavin Gallagher found Conor Catterson and big man finished to the top corner from 20 yards. The second half was very stop start, with a flurry of injuries forcing both sides into changes, but Ballybofey never give Deele a route back into the game. Just before the hour mark the visitors increased their lead with a rare goal from P.H. Bonner as he headed home a corner unchallenged. The game petered out in the end on a frustrating day for Deele. John Gregg and David White were very impressive for Ballybofey. Referee: Patrick MartinLetterbarrow Celtic 3 Dunlewy Celtic 2Letterbarrow got off to a great start with James Mc Groary putting them a goal up after five minutes. The home side continued to dominate play until Dunlewy scored a header from a free kick, Lorcan Gallagher got the decisive touch. Letterbarrow’s response was brave and they were rewarded when John Roper scored a simple goal after a great free kick from Steven Graham. Soon after John Roper shocked everyone when he lobbed the keeper with a cheeky but clever shot from 25 yards. The second half was less entertaining. Dunlewy scored their second with a Ciaran Mc Geady shot making the last 20 minutes very nerve wrecking for the home side. Great home win for Letterbarrow with Enda Kenny, James Mc Groary, Steven Graham, John Roper and Cathal Louther best for the home side. Whitestrand United 6 Glenree United 1On a cold and foggy afternoon Whitestrand United played Glenree United at Whitestrand Park. Whitestrand United have been a good run of form recently and were looking to continue this in what looked a difficult match against Glenree United. Both teams battled for the upper hand in the early minutes of the match. Michael Sweeney went down in the box and the referee blew for a penalty. Up stepped Eddie Blake who calmly slotted the ball past the keeper. Whitestrand kept up the pressure and Eddie Blake almost doubled his personal tally when he hit his shot narrowly wide from Michael Sweeny’s cross. Michael Sweeney broke through on two occasions and had good efforts on goal. Glenree went up the pitch and equalised when a defensive mix-up led to Damien Nelis scoring the equaliser. Shortly after this the ball fell to Calvin McGowan who hit an excellent strike into the top corner. It was an excellent strike and a good response to Glenree’s equaliser. A good corner led to the third goal when Sean Gallagher headed into the top corner. A hectic ten minutes before half time saw Calvin help himself to his second goal.Glenree were shell-shocked after the 10-minute blitz before half time and this showed in the second half when the tempo of the game dropped. The game had slowed down dramatically. Good play on the right hand side between Paul Lynch and Eddie Blake led to Blake crossing the ball and substitute James Gallagher helped himself to a goal. The final goal of a dominant display by Whitestrand came from Paul Lynch when the ball came to him in the box and he had all the time in the world to find the bottom corner. Best for the Strand were Calvin McGowan and Eamon Martin. Referee: Victor RaineyOscar Traynor TrophySligo / Leitrim League 1 Donegal Junior League 0The Donegal Junior League team who were defeated by Sligo / Leitrim in the Oscar Traynor Trophy on Sunday at Ray Mc Sharry Park. Pic.: Gary Foy, League PROThe Donegal Junior League’s Oscar Traynor ambitions came to a halt in Ray Mc Sharry Park, Sligo on Sunday afternoon. The Yeats County town is still cheerfully decorated in the red and white colours of Sligo Rovers after their recent FAI Cup victory. Those colours assumed a dual purpose on Sunday evening as the Sligo / Leitrim League, who play in similar attire, progressed to the next round of this season’s competition at the expense of their north-west rivals.Sligo / Leitrim started brightly as Donegal took time to find their rhythm. After only two minutes Mark Mc Conigley had to be alert when a fiercely struck corner kick fizzed across his six yard line. But the custodian, who would go on to produce countless fine saves, dealt well with the threat and fisted the ball confidently away to safety,On five minutes Ryan Carlin won a free kick for Donegal wide on the right. Team captain Michael Doherty floated the ball across the area. Ryan Shields rose well at the back post but Martin Ward in the home net managed to get a touch to divert the ball away from the Kilmacrennan man’s head. Mc Conigley again thwarted the hosts when he got down well to save a Keith Nibbs shot from the edge of the box. Sligo / Leitrim looked dangerous going forward but they failed to find the final ball and most of their attacks broke down outside the Donegal penalty area. For their part Donegal were playing well. Ryan Carlin and Oisin Mc Menamin looked to have the wherewithal to unlock the home rearguard. Mc Menamin made Ward earn his corn when he fired a thunderous shot toward the Sligo / Leitrim net but the home keeper proved well up to the task.With thirty eight minutes gone Donegal forced two corners in quick succession. Kevin Mc Brearty delivered the first which Ward fisted away for another a on the opposite side. Ryan Mc Fadden took the second corner and played it short to Michael Doherty. The team captain tried his luck from outside the box but his left footed effort went over the bar. As half time loomed Donegal were giving as good as they were getting. Carlin and Mc Menamin were both dangerous going forward. Kevin Mc Brearty, deployed on the left side of midfield, offered cover for left-back Brian Coll who had been so exposed in the match against Inishowen. The pair were very effective and allowed no Sligo / Leitrim advancement along their flank. Mc Conigley in goals and Ryan Mc Fadden as well as the central defensive pair of Shields and Mc Gee also showed well throughout the opening period.Sligo /Leitrim came out for the second half with all guns blazing. This seemed to unsettle the Donegal side. Three times within the opening five minutes Mc Conigley had to produce top drawer saves to keep his side in the game. The pressure final told in the thirteenth minute when Sligo / Leitrim centre half Damien Shannon pounced on a loose ball in the Donegal box and he drove the ball to the net with venom.Then came the match’s finest moment. Sligo / Leitrim playmaker, Christopher Kelly, swung a free kick into the Donegal box from wide on the left wing. Centre forward Gareth Reilly rose highest and with the deftest of flicks seemed to have doubled the home side’s advantage. Unbelievable Mc Conigley, who was moving in the opposite direction, stuck out his left leg to stop the ball at the expense of only a corner. No-one could believe he had prevented the goal at absolute point blank range.The remainder of the game saw little between the sides. Sligo / Leitrim continued to create the better chances. This was a direct result of their better pass completion rate. Donegal had plenty of possession but all too often their manoeuvres faltered before they could present and real danger to the hosts. Mark Griffin replaced Kevin Mc Brearty and Dylan Ramsey came on for Ryan Carlin but the Cappry pair couldn’t impose themselves enough to have any bearing on the outcome. It finished at one nil to Sligo / Leitrim and Donegal will now have to start thinking about how they will approach next year’s competition as they again will attempt to progress from the Group stages on this prestigious competition.Sligo / Leitrim: Martin Ward, Neill Mc Kenna, Aaron Murran, Gary Rooney, Damien Shannon, Colm Jinks, Liam Mc Tiernan, Ross Mc Loughlin, Gareth Reilly, Christopher Kelly, Kith Nibbs. Subs; Graham Lee, Jake Mc Crann, Niall Brennan, Kevin Buckley, Gary Finan, Damien Scanlon, James Carty.Donegal: Mark Mc Conigley, Jamie Boyle, Brian Coll, Ryan Shields, David Mc Gee, Ryan Mc Fadden, Jonny Robb, Michael Doherty, Oisin Mc Menamin, Ryan Carlin, Kevin Mc Brearty. Subs; Dylan Ramsey, Mark Griffin, Warren Mc Ginley.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTSSATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneFintown Harps AFC 3 Glencar Celtic 2In very wet conditions at Pairc Achla Fintown Harps defeated League leaders Glencar Celtic by the odd goal in five. Glencar took the lead early in the game when Paddy Rafferty found the net in the 10th minute. Glencar’s lead was short lived as Fintown’s Daragh Gallagher got the equaliser in the 20th minute. Mick Martin put Glencar back into the lead when he had a pop at goal and caught the Fintown keeper on the hop on thirty minutes. Brian Delaney got the equaliser just before the half time whistle.With the sides level it was all to play for in the second half. Fintown took the lead for the first time when Ciaran Thompson scored on the 75th minute. Glencar worked hard to level but to no avail. Fintown took the valuable points after a good hard fought game. Solid team performances from both sides. Referee : Brian O KaneGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers 2 Keadue Rovers Reserves 3This local derby lived up to all the expeditions between Strand Rovers and Keadue Rovers. The game started very lively with Strand having the bulk of the possession and being rewarded with a goal which Brendan Glackin took well. Unfortunately the game was held up for a while as an injury to Laurence Mc Daid, Strand Rovers No. 2, required an ambulance to take him to hospital. When the game re-started Strand carried on from where they finished. It was 1-0 at the break. The second half started with both teams playing some good football. Things got a bit heated for a period and resulted in 3 players being sent off. Keadue seemed to play better with the nine men and were rewarded with an equaliser from Conor Greene. During another period of good play from both sides Strand regained the lead with a goal from Thomas Brennan. Keadue then sprung into life and two goals, one from Conor Greene and one from Corey Gallagher resulted in a 3-2 win for the visitors to Maghery. Strand will once again feel hard done by as they didn’t deserve to be beat. Best for Keadue was Corey Gallagher with Brendan Brennan and Stephen Glackin best for StrandGweedore United Reserves 2 Cranford United Reserves 1This game played in Gweedore on a cold wet day saw the home side take all three points. . United got off to the best possible start when they were awarded a penalty as Eoin De Barra was pulled down in the Cranford box. Stephen O’ Donnell stepped up and took the penalty which was excellently saved by Oisin Blaney in the Cranford nets. Both sides played good football and there were chances at both ends. The home side broke the deadlock in the 18th minute when a well struck free kick from Martin Doohan went in at the near post. Lee Carr and Paddy Shields had two good chances to equalise however both efforts were wide of the target. In the 35th minute the home side made it 2-0 when a good shot from Martin Doohan was parried by Blaney in the Cranford nets and Stephen O’ Donnell ran in to score from close range. In the second half the good football continued from both sides with Cranford going in search of their first goal. The visitors got their reward in the 50th minute when James Lee Mc Bride scored past Whoriskey from long range. The score remained 2-1 until the end. Conor Shields, Ben Mc Bride and Naoise Cullen played well for Cranford and it was a good team performance from United with Sean Gallagher, Hugh Mc Fadden, and Martin Doohan excelling on the day. Referee: Paul Doherty.Curragh Athletic Reserves 1 Tullyvinney Rovers 4Curragh started this game very brightly with a Gary Heaney strike just going wide. Against the run of play Tullyvinney scored on the 45th minute from a Daniel Mc Nulty header…Curragh pressed and pressed but the Tullyvinney defenders stood strong..The visitors doubled their lead, again through Mc Nulty strike. In the 82nd minute Adam Gardiner raced clear and lifted the ball over the Curragh keeper o make it three. Curragh then scored the goal of the game, a wonder strike from 45 yards out from Mickey o’ Brien. Tullyvinney scored their 4th in the 90th minute from Daithi Gardiner. Dylan Irwin was best for the Curragh. A team performance from Tullyvinney.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneFintown Harps AFC 3 v 2 Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers 2 v 3 Keadue Rovers ReservesGweedore United Reserves 2 v 1 Cranford United ReservesCurragh Athletic Reserves 1 v 4 Tullyvinney RoversSUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionCranford United 3 v 1 Donegal TownWatson Hire Division OneKeadue Rovers 3 v 2 Gweedore UnitedEany Celtic 1 v 2 Bonagee UnitedCT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps 1 v 3 Ballybofey UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic 3 v 2 Dunlewy CelticWhitestrand United 6 v 1 Glenree UnitedOscar Traynor TrophySligo / Leitrim League 1 v 0 Donegal Junior LeagueDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 23-11-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Downtown CupArranmore United v Erne Wanderers (K.O. 1 p.m.)Glenea United Reserves v Donegal Town ReservesCurragh Athletic Reserves v Milford United ReservesGlencar Celtic v Tullyvinney RoversKeadue Rovers Reserves v Glenree United ReservesGweedore United Reserves v Orchard F.C.St. Catherines Reserves v Cranford United ReservesStrand Rovers v Castlefin Celtic ReservesOld Orchard Saturday Division OneMulroy Celtic v Fintown Harps AFCSUNDAY 24-11-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)FAI Junior CupCappry Rovers v Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. (K.O. 1.30 p.m.)Lifford Celtic v Aileach F.C. (K.O. 1.30 p.m.)Moville Celtic v Drumoghill F.C. (K.O. 1.30 p.m.)Quigleys Point Swifts v Castlefin Celtic (K.O. 1.30 p.m.)Ulster Junior CupBallybofey United v Redcastle F.C. (K.O. 1.30 p.m.)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGweedore Celtic v Rathmullan CelticKilmacrennan Celtic v Glenea UnitedMilford United v Cranford UnitedSt. Catherines v Curragh AthleticWatson Hire Division OneKeadue Rovers v Lagan HarpsBonagee United v Dunkineely CelticGweedore United v Eany CelticCT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps v Drumbar F.C.Copany Rovers v Dunlewy CelticGlenree United v Raphoe TownWhitestrand United v Letterbarrow CelticDONEGAL LEAGUE: ALL THE RESULTS, REPORTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: November 18th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img read more