Florida opioid deaths down more than 10 percent in 2018

first_imgAmong 2019 bills adopted by Florida lawmakers to augment the state’s 2018 initiatives is a needle-exchange program.In May, First Lady Casey DeSantis launched the “Hope for Healing Florida” initiative as a “multi-agency mental health and substance abuse campaign to coordinate the combined efforts and resources of DCF, DOH, the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA), the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice and the Florida Department of Education to better serve the needs of Floridians struggling with mental health and substance abuse.”To date, at least 14 opioid-related bills have been filed by lawmakers for the 2020 session, which begins Jan. 14. Among them: Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter TAGSopioidsThe Center Square Previous articleHow local journalism can upend the ‘fake news’ narrativeNext articleCan you transport your Christmas tree home safely? Denise Connell RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By John Haughey | The Center SquareOpioid-related deaths declined 10 percent statewide in 2018, more than 600 fewer deaths than the previous year, according to the Florida Medical Examiners Office. “While the decline in opioid-related deaths is encouraging, we will not take our foot off the gas,” Attorney General Ashley Moody said in a statement. “My office is fighting the opioid crisis on multiple fronts – on the streets busting drug traffickers to the courtroom holding major opioid distributors, manufacturers, and pharmaceutical companies responsible for their roles in this crisis.”Moody met with the Statewide Task Force on Opioid Abuse Friday at St. Leo University to discuss the Florida Medical Examiners’ annual 2018 report, which was released in August. Free webinar for job seekers on best interview answers, hosted by Goodwill June 11 SB 704, filed by Sen. Darryl Rouson, D-St. Petersburg would create, among other things, the “First Episode Psychosis Program,” an “evidence-based program for individuals between 14 and 30 years of age who are experiencing early indications of serious mental illness, especially a first episode of psychotic symptoms.”HB 4297, sponsored by Rep. Mike LaRosa, R-Saint Cloud, would allocate $389,400 for a proposed “Change Everything Initiative,” a “Florida Opioid Crisis Pilot Project.” LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply Please enter your comment!center_img Senate Bill 120, filed by Sen. Jason W.B. Pizzo, D-Miami, and House Bill 331, sponsored by Rep. Joe Geller, D-Dania Beach, would require schools to have naloxone on site. Please enter your name here The Anatomy of Fear “This Task Force is another key component of this monumental struggle to end opioid abuse and save lives, and we will continue to tirelessly pursue new measures to help bolster our ongoing efforts to end this crisis ravaging our state,” Moody said.According to the annual analysis, Drugs Identified in Deceased Persons by Florida Medical Examiners 2018 Annual Report, total drug-related deaths decreased by 3 percent – 359 fewer – statewide last year with 5,576 “opioid-related deaths reported, 602 less than in 2017, more than a 10 percent decline.The report states there were 3,727 “opioid-caused” deaths in 2018, 553 less or 13 percent fewer than what was reported in 2017.The drugs that caused the most deaths in Florida in 2018 were fentanyl (2,348), cocaine (1,644), benzodiazepines (1,136, including 664 alprazolam deaths), morphine (1,102), fentanyl analogs (874), ethyl alcohol (866), and heroin (806). Fentanyl (87 percent), heroin (86 percent), fentanyl analogs (83 percent), morphine (59 percent), methamphetamine (59 percent), cocaine (58 percent), and methadone (57 percent) were listed as causing death in more than 50 percent of the deaths in which these drugs were found.The primary outlier in overall drug-related declines was fentanyl. Fentanyl-related and caused deaths increased by 29.5 percent (615 more) and deaths caused by fentanyl increased by 35 percent (605 more).The 21-member task force, which met for the first time in October, was created by Gov. Ron DeSantis via executive order earlier this year and named Moody as chair.The panel is developing a statewide strategy to identify best practices to combat the opioid epidemic through education, law enforcement efforts, treatment, prevention, and recovery. It will present its findings to DeSantis, Senate President Sen. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, and House Speaker Rep. Jose Oliva, R-Miami Lakes, in 2020.In May 2017, then-Gov. Rick Scott declared opioid abuse a crisis in Florida after the state’s Department of Health (DOH) reported heroin caused 952 deaths, fentanyl 1,390 deaths, oxycodone 723 deaths, and hydrocodone caused 245 deaths in 2016.In March 2018, Scott approved a $65 million package of laws that limited opioid prescriptions to no more than seven days and made it mandatory for doctors to check a database – the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program [PDMP] – to verify a patient’s history before writing a script for any controlled substance.Also approved in 2018:$14.6 million for residential treatment beds, outpatient treatment and case management, emergency room treatment and follow up, peer recovery support services and targeted outreach for pregnant women with substance abuse disorders.$27 million in federal funding from the Opioid State Targeted Response Grant.$16.5 million for the DCF and Department of Corrections (DOC) to treat opioid addiction. Support conservation and fish with NEW Florida specialty license plate You have entered an incorrect email address! Please enter your email address here Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.last_img read more

TV chief forced to resign

first_img BelarusEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on Belarus June 2, 2021 Find out more Organisation RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says Help by sharing this information BelarusEurope – Central Asia Receive email alerts January 27, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 TV chief forced to resigncenter_img News News May 27, 2021 Find out more RSF_en May 28, 2021 Find out more News News Reporters Without Borders expressed fears today that the removal of Russian-American businessman Boris Jordan from the running of the country’s nationwide NTV television network would be a new setback to press freedom in Russia.Jordan was fired on 17 January as head of Gazprom Media, part of the state natural gas company which owns NTV, for supposedly disagreeing about the group’s future growth. He announced on 21 January that he would soon also resign as director-general of NTV.Reporters Without Borders said that despite Jordan’s part in the government’s takeover in 2001 of the country’s main independent broadcasting media, his enforced resignation looked like a further blow to freedom of expression since under him NTV had been more independent in news reporting than other state-owned media. President Vladimir Putin criticised NTV for its coverage of the seizure by Chechen rebels of a Moscow theatre last October after the station broadcast an interview with the leader of the commandos to go furtherlast_img read more

Sinn Féin recalls the legacy of Seán Sabhat

first_imgAdvertisement Previous articleBus Éireann boost services while contributing €40million to Limerick’s economyNext articleLimerick GAA sides in preseason action Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie NewsLocal NewsSinn Féin recalls the legacy of Seán SabhatBy Alan Jacques – January 8, 2015 1082 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Facebook Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival TAGSCllr Lisa Marie SheehyCllr Maurice QuinlivanlimerickSean SabhatSinn Fein by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE annual commemoration of Limerick republican Seán Sabhat’s death last Sunday provided the local Sinn Féin organisation with a platform to build support for the party’s aim of “achieving Irish unity and a fairer society”.After assembling in Bedford Row, the 250-strong crowd marched to Sabhat’s grave at Mount St Lawrence Cemetery where Sinn Féin party council leader Cllr Maurice Quinlivan, predicted that 2015 will be a very important year for both Sinn Féin and Ireland.“We will more than likely have a General Election and we are now the lead party of opposition both in Limerick and across Ireland. Our party was the clear voice for change in the recent elections and we appreciate the support we were given then,” he said.A wreath was laid at Sabhat’s grave on behalf of the Republican Movement by Eileen Shields from Navan before the main address from Sinn Féin councillor Lisa Marie Sheehy who said she believed Sabhat would be proud to see how things have come along in the party but not so proud to see the state of the country, “where emigration, poverty, housing crisis and other important issues are not being adequately addressed”.“We look at society today, the divide is still prevalent perhaps caused by the lack of political will by past and current governments to actively create an equal society. Still the rich get richer and the poor get poorer due to the lack of protection of vulnerable people in society.“I think people see through this now where we as citizens cannot be fooled by budgets where they seem to give something back to people but take it out of another pocket. In fact people are voting a lot more cautiously, once followed the lead of a parent, now looks at how the government’s decisions affect them,” the Cappamore-Kilmallock councillor said. Print Email Twitter Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live . Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Linkedin WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads last_img read more

BYU Men’s Basketball Plays For Third At Maui Against Virginia Tech Wednesday

first_img Written by November 27, 2019 /Sports News – Local BYU Men’s Basketball Plays For Third At Maui Against Virginia Tech Wednesday Brad James FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailLAHAINA, Hawaii-Wednesday evening, BYU men’s basketball (4-3) plays for third place at the Maui Jim Invitational at Lahaina, Hawaii as they face the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Virginia Tech Hokies (6-1, 1-0 in ACC play) for a 9:30 pm MST tip-off.Under new head coach Mark Pope (4-3, .571 at BYU; 81-59, .579 as a collegiate basketball head coach), the Cougars have shown grit and toughness in the absence of star senior forward Yoeli Childs.Childs is in the midst of serving a 9-game suspension mandated by the NCAA and is eligible to return to the BYU lineup December 4 against bitter rival Utah at the Huntsman Center.Meanwhile, the Cougars are averaging 69.9 points per game, ranking them 237th nationally in scoring offense.In Childs’ absence, BYU’s leading scorer remains senior guard Jake Toolson (15.3 points per game, along with 4.6 rebounds per game).Senior guard TJ Haws (13 points per game, a team-best 27 assists) and junior guard Alex Barcello (10 points per game, a team-best 10 steals) continue to score in double-figures on average for the Cougars.Senior forward Dalton Nixon is BYU’s leader in rebounds, averaging 4.7 boards per game.The BYU defense surrenders 67.7 points per game, ranking the Cougars 164th nationally in scoring defense. They are tied with Columbia and Idaho in this category.The Hokies are coached by Mike Young who is 6-1 (.857) in his first season at the helm at Blacksburg, Va.In his 17th season as a collegiate men’s basketball head coach (299-244, .551 at Wofford), he has coached against BYU before as his Terriers lost to the Cougars 74-66 in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament at the Pepsi Center of Denver.The Hokies score 76.1 points per game, ranking them 106th nationally in scoring offense.Virginia Tech is fond of the 3-point line as they made 21 3-pointers in an 100-64 win over Delaware State November 20. They have made double-digit 3-point field goals in five of their seven games to start the season.Redshirt freshman guard/forward Landers Nolley II (19.7 points, 4.9 rebounds per game) is the Hokies’ leading scorer. He also is tied for the team lead in steals (10) with junior guard Wabissa Bede.Bede also ranks second nationally with 51 assists for the Hokies.Freshman guard Nahiem Alleyne (11.7 points per game) also scores in double figures on average for Virginia Tech.Redshirt freshman guard Tyrece Radford leads the Hokies on the glass as he averages a team-best 5.4 rebounds per game.Nigerian national, freshman forward John Ojiako has a team-best 5 blocked shots on the season to pace Virginia Tech in that category.The Hokies rank 70th nationally in scoring defense, surrendering 61.6 points per game.The Cougars are 2-0 all-time against Virginia Tech, having vanquished the Hokies 97-64 December 29, 1967 at Oklahoma City and 80-77 at Provo March 18, 2016 in the second round of the NIT. Tags: BYU Basketball/Virginia Tech Basketballlast_img read more