Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 34-year-old man was gunned down following an argument with two men in Uniondale over the weekend, Nassau County police said.The victim, whose identity was not immediately released, was shot dead by two suspects who fled the scene on Hill Street at 10:45 a.m. Sunday, police said.He was driven to Nassau County Medical Center where he was pronounced dead nearly two hours later.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information regarding this crime to call Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
November 23, 2017 Police Blotter112317 Batesville Police Blotter112317 Decatur County EMS Report112317 Decatur County Fire Report112317 Decatur County Jail Report112317 Decatur County Law Report
#Clemson HC Dabo Swinney addresses the crowd at tonight’s peaceful demonstration. @foxcarolinanews pic.twitter.com/LLt7HAvAw3— Aaron Cheslock (@AaronCheslock) June 13, 2020This is beautiful, and I just appreciate everyone supporting this community today. Clemson is a special place, and we saw again what that is today. This is a historic time and a challenging time, but as I tell my team all the time, challenge is what creates change.I believe with all my heart that God stopped the world in 2020, so we could have perfect vision and clearly see the social and racial injustice and the changes that need to occur in our society.Nobody — nobody — should feel less or be treated as less because of the color of their skin. God loves every one of us the same. Black lives more than matter — black lives significantly matter and equally matter. And for far too long, that has not been the case for the black community.Now is the time to push for equal justice and no longer tolerate police brutality or racism of any kind in this country. But as you saw today, and moving forward, it has to be everyone’s responsibility, not just some people’s responsibility, it has to be everyone’s responsibility, to be more aware, to learn more and to speak out against racial inequality.Swinney is the second big name from Clemson to speak out on racial injustices and civil unrest, joining quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who sided with his “brothers that continuously deal with issues he’ll never experience.”MORE: Trevor Lawrence defends Dabo Swinney’s ‘Football Matters’ shirt Dabo Swinney is using his platform to speak out.The Clemson head coach, who recently came under fire for his wardrobe which some thought was mocking the Black Lives Matter movement, spoke to protesters gathered at Clemson’s campus over the weekend. Clemson has become a focal point for the Black Lives Matter movement and the national discussion about racial injustice since the killing of George Floyd in police custody. The campus features several halls and statues honoring racist figures in U.S. history, prompting calls for their removal from protesters and high-profile alumni like Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins. Clemson last week said it will rename its Calhoun Honors College to distance itself from John C. Calhoun, a former U.S. vice president and supporter of slavery in the 1800s. University officials have also petitioned South Carolina lawmakers to rename Tillman Hall, named for Ben Tillman, the former state governor and senator known for his segregationist politics.More Dabo pic.twitter.com/F4R3nd1mjJ— Aaron Cheslock (@AaronCheslock) June 13, 2020Swinney had been criticized for not joining Watson, Hopkins and his current players in calls for changes at Clemson. On June 8, Swinney put out a statement through Clemson in response to Floyd’s killing that was criticized for not outlining specifics when it came to how exactly he was helping to fight racial injustice.
Seville, Spain | AFP | Man of the moment Marco Asensio scored twice and Cristiano Ronaldo was also on target as Real Madrid kept up the feel-good factor with a thrilling 5-3 victory at Real Betis in La Liga on Sunday night.Madrid had been 2-1 down at half-time in a fantastic game at the Benito Villamarin, but they came roaring back in the second half with Sergio Ramos, Asensio — who had scored the opener – Ronaldo and Karim Benzema all finding the net.They survived a late Betis onslaught, and after their 3-1 Champions League last 16, first-leg win against Paris Saint-Germain in midweek, this victory confirms that Zinedine Zidane’s side are looking better in La Liga now too.?? EIGHT goals, THREE points, ONE match report. Read all about our pulsating victory over @RealBetis_en and check out all the best photos! ? #RMLiga https://t.co/QkS4UnDhQD— Real Madrid C.F.???? (@realmadriden) February 18, 2018They remain fourth, a huge 17 points behind leaders Barcelona. However, this was their fourth win in five league outings, and they are back to within a point of third-placed Valencia with a game in hand to come at Leganes in midweek.“It was an end to end game, a bit crazy, but I like that. It shows that we had a proper opponent,” said Zidane.“Betis were fantastic and controlled the last half-hour of the first half. But I’m happy in the end, and I prefer to focus on the five goals we scored rather than the three we let in.” Asensio had come off the bench to set up the two late goals that allowed Real to beat PSG and he was rewarded with a start on Sunday in Seville, while Gareth Bale also came in as the likes of Benzema and Luka Modric dropped to the bench.Asensio duly headed Madrid into an 11th-minute lead after Antonio Adan had saved a Ronaldo shot, but Betis had won when the sides last met at the Santiago Bernabeu and they hit back brilliantly.¡Feliz por la victoria! / Happy with the victory!?? #RMLiga #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/0ldy86pvVb— Marco Asensio (@marcoasensio10) February 18, 2018Loren and Joaquin, the latter from a free-kick, both came close before Aissa Mandi headed in a Joaquin cross to make it 1-1 in the 33rd minute.It was 2-1 shortly after, as visiting defender Nacho could only help a Junior shot into his own net, and the home fans in the crowd of over 53,000 erupted.Real also saw Marcelo limp off in the first half, a potentially worrying sign ahead of the PSG second leg, and Zidane confirmed the Brazilian would find out the extent of his injury on Monday.Madrid recovered superbly after the restart, though.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2
The article originally appeared in the June 18-24, 2020 print edition of The Two River Times. A day after the press conference, June 12, Murphy announced that the restriction on such programs will be lifted July 6. He suggested that the state allow restaurants to reopen for indoor dining and allow at least 50 percent capacity “if we want them to survive,” he said. Restaurateurs have been demanding that the state allow limited indoor dining for several weeks, including during a press conference May 29 attended by at least 60 local restaurant owners. Monday marked the long-anticipated reopening of outdoor dining at restaurants, nonessential in-person retail shopping and childcare centers, with salons, barbershops, tattoo parlors and others to follow June 22. But because Monmouth County business owners and residents have already seen a “big impact” from the closures, the freeholders urged the state to take further steps. YOUTUBE/MONMOUTH COUNTY GOVERNMENT Monmouth County Freeholder Director Thomas A. Arnone spoke about restaurant openings and more during a press conference June 11. Outside the restaurant world, and unlike most in-person activities permitted thus far this summer, beaches have been open since Memorial Day weekend. The turnout has been “extremely active,” said Arnone, suggesting that the best way to address the crowding is to reopen other recreation spaces. That could mean reopening parks to allow for full capacity, he said, or other areas for people to go to. “The governor has said many times that he commends New Jersey residents for doing the right thing and taking the right precautions, so let these restaurant owners do just that,” said Arnone. “They understand they’re going to need changes, but at the end of the day, they welcome the changes as long as they can open their doors. And I’m going to be a big proponent of it.” “For nearly three months, these children have been without these programs that are essential to their well-being,” said Arnone, a board member of the Monmouth Ocean Foundation for Children. “These extended school year programs are instrumental in helping these children maintain structure and routine in their lives,” Arnone said. “While I am glad that restaurants will be permitted to open for outdoor dining next week, we cannot ignore the fact that this isn’t enough,” said Freeholder Director Thomas A. Arnone. “There will be days when it is raining or too hot to eat outdoors. Additionally, Arnone stressed the impor tance of in-person education for the special needs community. The at-home instruction with limited resources has been “totally devastating” to moving their lives and education for ward, he said. “I understand that this is extremely important for our special needs community and their families. The setback is detrimental to the progress they have made,” he added. By Allison Perrine “We have to look at some of our indoor recreation facilities and find ways to work with those owners and make it work because they’re struggling they’re struggling hard.” MONMOUTH COUNTY – Monmouth County is getting back up on its feet. Many businesses are reopening under new regulations for the first time in months amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the freeholders announced June 11 in a press conference. According to Freeholder Deputy Director Susan M. Kiley, over 75,000 Monmouth County residents have filed for unemployment since March 21 at the beginning of the pandemic in New Jersey. With help from the county’s financial hub they have been able to help those unemployed residents with job training, childcare, financial coaching and more to get them back to work. We are already seeing thousands of restaurants throughout the state close, which is completely unacceptable.” “We are currently waiting for direction from HUD about how these awarded grant funds can be distributed and who is eligible to receive this assistance in Monmouth County,” said Kiley. “As of right now, we know that these grants are designated to assist vulnerable populations who have been impacted by the pandemic.” The county has also received notice of impending grants from the state Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for $1.5 million from the Community Development Block Grant and $2.5 million from the Emergency Service Grant, she said during the press conference.
DOUG O’NEILL, ILIAD, SECOND: “He just got a little tired. Flavien said that between the three eighths and the quarter pole, he thought he could win it. Obviously, Mastery is a very special horse, but I’m really happy with the way my horse ran first time around two turns. If he stays healthy, we’ll shoot for the Santa Anita Derby (Grade I, $1 million on April 8).” MIKE SMITH, MASTERY, WINNER: Regarding Mastery, who was pulled up after the wire and taken back to the barn via horse ambulance after being evaluated by track vet, Dr. Dana Stead – “He seemed to just go off in the left hind. I don’t know why. Nothing happened that made me think, ‘Oh, something just happened.’ He just all of the sudden went off and wouldn’t put weight on it.“I got off real quick and nothing seemed dislocated or anything. After he moved for a little bit he started walking fine on it so I’m hoping that maybe he just tweaked it or rolled it. I’m hoping it’s not that serious because he’s an incredible horse.“I felt it about 10 jumps after the wire. All of a sudden he just picked up his back leg. At that point I couldn’t tell what it was. After a minute or so and he started walking, he seemed fine.“This is a really talented horse. The power…it’s endless with this guy. He’s some kind of strong. He was hitting gears every time I asked him to. Gear down one, gear up two, gear down one…“Everything seemed to come easy for him. That was a pretty impressive race. I’m just hoping everything is ok.”(Update – While being interviewed in the Winner’s Circle, Bob Baffert received a call from assistant Jimmy Barnes reporting that Mastery had arrived at the barn and walked off the van seemingly in good order.) VICTOR ESPINOZA, GORMLEY, FOURTH: “You know, Gormley was good all the way around. He kind of surprised me at the three-eighths pole where he kind of dropped the bridle and just kept moving along with the winner and I thought he’d finish second. It seems like he’s okay but these young horses, they’re still figuring it out. Race by race, they’re seeing what exactly they like and some little thing may not being going their way and they won’t race at their best but he’ll recover and do better in the next one.” TRAINER QUOTES FLAVIEN PRAT, ILIAD, SECOND: “Between the three eighths and the quarter pole, I thought I could catch him. This was his first time around two turns and he ran really well. He should improve off of this race.” BOB BAFFERT, MASTERY, WINNER: “Mike just said that when he was pulling him up on the turn, he felt something behind, like he took a funny step. So he pulled him up, and he was favoring his left hind. As soon as he took the saddle off, then he was perfect. He was walking good. We’ll take him back and see.“It’s left hind, whatever it is. Jimmy (Barnes) said he didn’t see anything obvious, and he went out of the trailer fine (back at the barn.)“We’ve been so high on this horse, and you see what he did today was just incredible and puts him as the best 3-year-old in the nation. I’m walking down and I hear a fan say ‘I hope your horse is all right.’ I said ‘What?!’ and he said ‘I hear they’re unsaddling him.’ We went from the highest of the highs to somber. Hopefully it’s nothing obvious or really serious. We’ll have to get back there and find out what’s going on.“The way he moves – he’s just a beautiful moving horse. He was just doing it easy. It’s very rare to get one like that. You go from seeing the next coming, and then something like that happens. I’ve never dealt with anything like that. I thought maybe it was heat or something.” JOCKEY QUOTES NOTES: The winning owner is Everett Dobson of Oklahoma City, OK who races as Cheyenne Stable, LLC. -30-
The Flyers’ next game is December 5th in Dawson Creek.Larson also confirmed on Friday that the Flyers will host Augustana College for a pair of exhibition games in Fort St. John, on January 2nd and 3rd. The Flyers also host a charity poker tournament on Saturday night at Chances. Anyone who hasn’t registered for the event can still secure a spot by dropping by Chances Casino, or by calling 793-0272. The Senior Flyers are getting more competition than they bargained for.Last night, the Flyers dropped their second straight game to the Mustangs, losing 9-7 in Hythe. Like last weekend, the Flyers jumped out to an early lead, but the Mustangs outscored the Flyers 5-1 in the third period to complete another comeback win.- Advertisement -Fort St. John led 2-0 after 20 minutes of play, courtesy of goals from Andrew Derton and Adam Horst.A wild second period saw each team net four goals, including Flyers goals from Adam Horst (his second), Ian Munro, Brett Loney, and Nathan Waberski. Hythe answered with goals from Bob Balderson, Rocky Collins, Ryan Lizotte, and Jay Christie. The Mustangs found another gear in the third period, firing five goals past Flyers goaltender Troy Hunt. Marty Jones, Kyle Chapple, Dayne Baker, Cole Walker, and Trevor Mazurek found the back of the net, while Todd Alexander had the lone goal of the third for Fort St. John.Advertisement “I think it’s a lack of intensity” Flyers GM Rob Larson said on Friday. “We dominated the game for 35 minutes, and then just stopped playing our game, and let them back into it.” Unlike on Saturday, when penalty trouble in the second period sparked the Hythe comeback, the Flyers allowed the Mustangs to come-back while playing even strength. “Turnovers on the blue line, and stuff like that” Larson said were the problems for his team on Thursday. “It’s unacceptable” Larson said, “playing against a team that’s below our caliber, but we play to their level and give them an opportunity to walk right back in it.”The Flyers outshot Hythe 52-36, with Darren Walker posting his second straight win over the Flyers. The game’s only fight saw Donny Lloyd take on Cole Walker in the final minutes. Advertisement
PICO RIVERA — A two-person gang enforcement unit, as well as increased collaborations with the city, helped reduced crime in all but one area in 2006, officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff s Department Pico Rivera station announced Tuesday. Capt. Michael Rothans reported during this week’s City Council meeting that the rate of Part I crimes — with include murder, aggravated assault, robbery and arson — decreased by 7 percent last year in comparison to 2005 statistics. The only increase in Pico Rivera crimes occurred in the area of auto theft, according to Rothans.“When you talk about where are we now, I think we’re in a very good place,” he said during a presentation to the council.“The only thing that’s increased is auto theft. We had three more cars stolen this year than last year,” Rothans added. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Arcata >> Humboldt State University cross-country and track and field coach Scott Pesch announced his retirement on Monday.Pesch has been the program’s head coach since 2010 and will retire effective July 15. He will serve as a volunteer coach with the cross-country program through the fall season. “I feel honored to have been a part of the rich history of Humboldt State cross-country and track & field. My wife and I truly appreciate the opportunity that the university has provided us, and I …
A tit-for-tat imposition of trade tariffs has pitted China against the U.S. and Europe and could slow the growth of photovoltaic installations worldwide, according to a report in The Washington Post.China was setting tariffs as high as 57% on U.S.-produced polysilicon, a key ingredient used in the manufacture of PV panels. The U.S. and the European have imposed tariffs of their own on Chinese-made panels, and the combination will not only hurt U.S. polysilicon manufacturers but boost prices worldwide, The Post said.REC Silicon has a manufacturing plant in Moses Lake, Washington, that employs more than 500 workers. The plant exports 80% of the polysilicon it produces to China, but some customers there are already canceling orders.In 2012, the U.S. produced 24% of the global supply of polysilicon. Prices have been falling for more than a decadeThe trade dispute may eventually mean higher prices, but the long-term trend has been in the other direction.NPD Solarbuzz, a solar market research company, reports solar module prices have dropped steadily over the past decade in both the U.S. and Europe.By March of this year, Solarbuzz reported prices for 329 modules had fallen below $2 per watt. The lowest price for a multi-crystalline module was $1.06 per watt (the module cost is about 35% to 40% of the total installed cost of a PV system).