Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York US Attorney General Eric Holder has announced he will step down once a successor is nominated and confirmed. Holder, the nation’s first black Attorney General, has held that post for all six years of President Barack Obama’s time in office. The news of Holder’s resignation was first reported Thursday by NPR. Holder, raised in New York City, became the 82nd Attorney General when he was sworn in on Feb. 3, 2009. He returned to the Department of Justice after previously serving as Deputy Attorney General under President Bill Clinton. Holder’s time as AG has been tumultuous. He came under a deluge of criticism from New York City officials, police and the families of the Sept. 11, 2001 victims after proposing to prosecute those responsible in Manhattan. The uproar forced Holder to drop those plans. Then, in 2012, Congress held Holder in contempt—the first such vote against a Cabinet official in history—for refusing to release documents related to the bungled “Fast and Furious” operation, which was a program involving weapons that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms used to sting Mexican drug cartels. One of the guns that authorities lost track of was later used to kill a Border Patrol agent in 2010. Holder has also had a contentious relationship with journalists. It was Holder’s Department of Justice that secretly obtained phone records from Associated Press journalists as part of a probe into a foiled al-Qaeda plot. And it was under his watch that more people have been charged in Espionage Act cases than under all previous administrations. Still ongoing, and potentially most troubling for journalists, is the Justice Department’s repeated attempts to force New York Times journalist James Risen to testify and reveal the name of his source in one chapter of his 2006 book State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration, which exposed “a failed attempt by the CIA to have a former Russian scientist provide flawed nuclear weapons’ blueprints to Iran,” according to court documents from Risen’s federal appeals court hearing.Holder has said, “As long as I’m attorney general, no reporter will go to jail for doing his job.” Holder has received praised by many in the minority community for his willingness to speak about racial issues—a subject Obama has largely avoided while in office.Recently, Holder was dispatched to Ferguson, Mo., to speak with the family of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager shot and killed by a white police officer, and to help calm the fears of members of the community who say they’ve been disenfranchised for far too long. Holder’s resume also includes a stint as Associate Judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. President Ronald Reagan appointed Holder to that position in 1988. In New York, the Attorney General has lent his support to a lawsuit claiming that public defenders in New York are “overworked and overmatched.”The suit, filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union seven years ago and set for trial in October, names three upstate counties and Suffolk County as defendants. In one case, Eric Witherspoon was held in jail for two years before his trial and went nine months without speaking with his Suffolk County public defender, according to the NYCLU report. He was eventually found guilty on burglary charges and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. “To truly guarantee adequate representation for low-income defendants, we must ensure that public defenders’ caseloads allow them to do an effective job,” Holder said in a statement. “The Department of Justice is committed to addressing the inequalities that unfold every day in America’s courtrooms.” -With Spencer Rumsey
Versailles, In. — The Ripley County Health Department will be holding walk-in Immunization clinics from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the following dates:January 9, 2019January 16, 2019January 25, 2019January 28, 2019As long as flu viruses are circulating, it’s not too late to get vaccinated. Getting a flu vaccine can reduce illnesses, doctor visits and missed work and school due to flu, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone age 6 months and older get a flu vaccine each year. Dr. Box said that because infants under 6 months can’t be vaccinated, it’s important that anyone in a household where a young baby lives or visits get a flu shot to protect the child. Antibodies that provide protection develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination.Healthcare workers also are urged to get a flu vaccine to reduce their risk of transmitting illness to their patients.Influenza is a viral infection of the respiratory tract. It is spread by respiratory droplets released when infected people cough or sneeze nearby or when people touch surfaces or objects contaminated with those infectious respiratory droplets. People can also become infected by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with influenza viruses and then touching their eyes, mouth or nose.Although anyone can get the flu, some people are at higher risk of flu-related complications, such as pneumonia, hospitalization and death. High-risk individuals include pregnant women, young children (especially those too young to get vaccinated), people with chronic illnesses, people who are immunocompromised and the elderly. It is especially important for these individuals to be vaccinated each year.The Health Department currently accepts the following insurance companies:Group & Pension Administrators (GPA)Indiana MedicaidMD Wise Hoosier HealthwiseMD Wise Healthy Indiana Plan (HIP)MD Wise Hoosier Care ConnectMD Wise Exchange MarketplaceMDWise Alliance Health Plan /Total Health/IU Medical GroupAnthem Hoosier HealthwiseHoosier Alliance Health Plan (MD WISE)Advantage by Managed Health ServiceSoutheastern Indiana Health Organization (SIHO)Advantage Health SolutionsUnified Group ServicesMedicare A& BBlue Cross & Blue Shield of IndianaSagamore Health NetworkCignaTricare North RegionLocal 135 Health Benefit FundCommunity Insurance CompanyBlue Cross & Blue ShieldAnthem Insurance CompaniesAnthem Health Plans of KentuckyAnthem Blue Cross & Blue ShieldIf you are uninsured or underinsured vaccinations can be provided at no cost to you. For more information please call 812-689-0506.
And Marseille quickly followed news of his suspension by terminating his contract with immediate effect.A statement published on Marseille’s website read: “Patrice Evra has been exemplary on the field and in the locker room. He played an important role in reviving the team and in the improvement of results.“However, on November 2 in Guimaraes he committed an irreparable act by responding to provocations from a handful of individuals.“Nothing justified such a reaction, especially from a senior player whose attitude both on and off the pitch should inspire the youngest of us. “In that context, the conditions were no longer right for Patrice Evra to accomplish his mission here with serenity or, above all, effectively.“Both parties agreed to end the collaboration by mutual consent.“This incident also highlighted the unacceptable attitude of a small number of people who uttered insults and threats of violence towards the player and his family before contemptuously invading the pitch.“Such behaviour, which exposes the club to sanctions, has no place in the stands of a football stadium and at Marseille in particular.”Club president Jacques-Henri Eyraud added: “Today, there is sadness. For Patrice Evra first, who obviously understood all the consequences of his action and who will no longer be able to exercise his passion at Olympique de Marseille.“Also for Marseille fans, who are stigmatised because of the irresponsible behaviour of a handful of them.”Marseille’s American owner Frank McCourt had described Evra’s behaviour as “unacceptable” and “not something that we can tolerate”, while fans held up a giant banner before last Sunday’s game against Caen saying: “We don’t want you in our colours anymore. Evra get lost.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Patrice Evra’s contract has been terminated by Marseille after he was banned until June 2018 for kung-fu kicking a fan.The former France captain was sent off before Marseille’s Europa League defeat against Vitoria on November 2 after lashing out at a supporter who Evra claimed was abusing him.UEFA charged Evra under article 15 of their disciplinary regulations, which deals with the misconduct of players, banning him from their club competitions until June.