Two Equatorial Guinean journalists held for the past eight days

first_imgNews November 27, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Equatorial Guinea September 4, 2019 Two Equatorial Guinean journalists held for the past eight days The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa But RSF has been told that the reason for their arrest may have been their interview with an investigating judge in Bata who criticized his recent suspension by the supreme court’s president. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls for the release of two Equatorial Guinean TV journalists who were arrested eight days ago in Bata – the country’s largest city and commercial capital – shortly after interviewing a recently-fired judge. Reports Asonga TV journalists Melanio Nkogo and Ruben Bacale. News Not even coronavirus escapes Equatorial Guinea’s extreme censorship “These arrests confirm the vulnerability of Equatorial Guinean journalists, who are exposed to the worst forms of intimidation as soon as they begin to stray from the editorial line demanded by the regime or by those close to it. We call on the authorities to release these journalists at once.” RSF_en June 15, 2020 Find out more May 18, 2020 Find out morecenter_img Melanio Nkogo and Ruben Bacale, who work for Asonga TV, Equatorial Guinea’s only privately-owned TV channel, have been held at police headquarters in Bata since 27 August. Neither the police nor any other officials have so far given any reason for their arrest. Organisation Equatorial GuineaAfrica Protecting journalistsMedia independence ImprisonedPredators Equatorial GuineaAfrica Protecting journalistsMedia independence ImprisonedPredators Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives Although Asonga TV is Equatorial Guinea’s only commercial TV channel, it is closely controlled by the regime because it is owned by Vice-President Teodorín Nguema Obiang, who is the son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema, the country’s ruler for the past 40 years. Help by sharing this information News “These two journalists have been in police custody for much longer than the legally permitted period and there are no grounds for holding them because they were just doing their job,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. Receive email alerts Equatorial Guinea is ranked 165th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. to go further Ramón Nse Ebalé, a cartoonist known for criticizing the president in his cartoons, spent nearly six months in detention last year on trumped-up charges of forgery and money laundering that were eventually dropped.last_img read more

Threatening comments about BlackBerry smartphones from telephone regulator

first_img RSF_en News United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa Organisation RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance The UAE’s Telecommunications Regulatory Authority warned yesterday that the use of BlackBerry smartphones posed a potential threat to national security. Accusing the company that operates the phones of operating “beyond the jurisdiction of national legislation,” the TRA said it would try to protect both consumers and the law.“This threat by the authorities constitutes a new offensive against BlackBerry phones and their potential for disseminating news and information,” Reporters Without Borders said. “As its servers are based abroad and its communications use encrypted networks, Research in Motion, the company that makes these phones, is not subject to local laws and is thereby avoiding the government’s attempts to have access to users’ personal data.”The press freedom organisation added: “The government regards the services offered by BlackBerry, especially its instant messaging, as an obstacle to its goal of reinforcing censorship, filtering and surveillance. We fear that this statement is designed to prepare the public for a total ban or block on BlackBerry. This would be a serious mistake and utterly inconsistent on the part of a country that aspires to be a technological leader in the Arab world.”BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) has become very popular in the UAE. It is used more and more for exchanges of information on a wide range of subjects including official corruption and a recent hike in the price of gasoline, a source of widespread anger. BBM was used to communicate criticism of the price hike, calls for peaceful demonstration and boycotts of gasoline stations.The UAE is listed as one of the countries “under surveillance” in the 2010 Reporters Without Borders report on “Enemies of the Internet” because it has established an extensive Internet filtering system. The list of blocked websites (http://www.emarati.katib.org/node/52) includes ones covering human rights, the prison system, the royal family and free expression.Access to the Internet via mobile phones is also controlled and BlackBerry phones have been subject to filtering since December 2009. The authorities tried to install spyware on the smartphones in July 2009 but had to back down because of widespread opposition.BlackBerry has been targeted by censors in other Gulf countries. In April, Bahrain banned BlackBerry’s “Urgent News” application, which was being used to distribute reports from the country’s six main daily newspapers and had around 11,000 users. to go further United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa July 26, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Threatening comments about BlackBerry smartphones from telephone regulator News Newscenter_img Follow the news on United Arab Emirates April 28, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say December 23, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts RSF joins other NGOs in amicus brief in WhatsApp suit against NSO Group Newslast_img read more

Six from Harvard receive Guggenheim Fellowships

first_imgThe John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation has awarded 2010 fellowships to six Harvard faculty members: Arachu Castro, assistant professor of social medicine at Harvard Medical School (HMS); Caroline Elkins, professor of history in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS); Steven Kazuo Takasugi, associate of the Department of Music; Gordon Teskey, professor of English in FAS; Sheila Jasanoff, Pforzheimer Professor of Science and Technology Studies at the Harvard Kennedy School; and Walter Johnson, Winthrop Professor of History and Professor of African and African American Studies in the Department of History.Often characterized as “midcareer” awards, Guggenheim Fellowships are intended for scholars who have already demonstrated exceptional capacity for productive scholarship or exceptional creative ability in the arts.last_img read more

Withdrawal offers chance to address mental illness

first_imgDuring the spring semester of 2014, 29 undergraduate students withdrew from the University.Some left because of illness, some because of personal matters and some left to seek treatment for mental health-related concerns.In the fall 2013 semester, 42 undergraduates withdrew. Seventeen more students decided between semesters not to return to Notre Dame after winter break last year.Among graduate and professional students, 17 withdrew last spring, and 29 withdrew in the fall.Associate Vice President for Student Services Bill Stackman said in his experience, many students on campus are aware of mental health concerns and are interested in taking care of themselves and their peers. When he meets with someone contemplating withdrawal for any reason, he said his goal is to make sure the student knows his or her options, to make sure they don’t feel like they’ve done something wrong and to make sure when the time comes, they’re “in a good place to come back and hit the ground running.”“I sent a card to every single student who left last year, when they were home,” he said. “They’d get a card from me, and basically it was a spirit of ‘good for you for recognizing the need to take care of yourself and get the help you need.’”The Office of Student Affairs tries to make the withdrawal and readmissions process as simple as possible and flexible enough to meet the needs of each student, Stackman said. Students can voluntarily withdraw at any point in the semester after meeting with the dean of their college and a case manager from Student Affairs.The requirements for readmission depend somewhat on a student’s reasons for leaving, Stackman said. Everyone needs a letter, an application form and an essay discussing their reasons for leaving, what they did while they were away to take care of themselves and how they’re prepared to come back.Each case is different, though, and for some the process is easier than for others. Senior Travis Marshall-Roth planned to graduate in May 2014 but withdrew for the spring 2013 and fall 2013 semesters to address his depression. He’s now on track to graduate in May 2015, but said the withdrawal process was “the worst Notre Dame experience I’ve ever had.”“Having to decide okay, do I want to withdraw or not — that’s not a trivial thing,” Marshall-Roth said.Marshall-Roth has struggled with depression for more than 10 years, he said, and “things started going really downhill” when he was taking more than 20 credits per semester as a sophomore chemistry major in 2011. He went to class, worked in a research lab and studied around the clock and slept “maybe three hours per night.”“That’s not really a good way to live,” he said. “I chalk it up to the extreme stress that I’d partially put myself into, partially not. … I was feeling more and more isolated.“And it was sort of like a massive downward spiral.”He began cutting himself in the fall semester of 2012 for the first time and experienced suicidal thoughts, he said.“I was just completely depleted,” he said. “And I was like, I can’t do this anymore.”Marshall-Roth met with a counselor at the University Counseling Center (UCC) and began “a medication roulette,” he said. He was eventually hospitalized the weekend before final exams began after telling a friend he had thought about suicide. He was told he could come back and take the exams at the beginning of the next semester, he said, because his grades overall were good.“So I came back and was basically in the same situation all over again within two weeks,” Marshall-Roth said. “I took the exams, then I was put in the hospital again, and this time it was 10 days.”He withdrew formally in the second week of the semester, he said.“I just didn’t want to be here. I went home and for the first four months I sat in my room and looked at my wall because that’s all I could do,” he said. “Just like a blank page, nothing going on. Because I was so depleted and depressed I couldn’t do anything else. I was sleeping 16 hours a day.”Eventually, he started intensive therapy, he said, and began taking a couple classes at a local university. He contacted Student Affairs in April and the next deadline for readmission was October 1, he said.Stackman said currently, there isn’t a set requirement that withdrawn students take two full semesters off. However, the time frame often depends on what point he or she left in the semester — to be readmitted in the spring semester, students must turn in application materials by Oct. 1. To be back for the fall semester, the deadline is March 1.“[If you withdraw in October or November], let’s say, your application deadline is going to be March 1,” Stackman said. “So you won’t be looking at the spring to come back, you’ll be looking at the [next] fall even though you left in the fall.“We’re trying to say to students, sometimes if you’re leaving, to go for two weeks and have a break and come back may not be enough. But what we do, rather than having a hard-and-fast, one-size-fits-all approach to this, is allow the student to go home, get the care they need and then apply to come back. Because in some cases, they are ready to come back, and we don’t want to hurt them just because of a hard-and-fast rule.”When considering withdrawal, Stackman said students may consider practical matters as well – anyone who withdraws before Nov.1, for example, does not have a “W” mark on his or her transcript. The earlier in the semester someone withdraws, the more tuition money he or she receives back.“I will plant the seeds early,” Stackman said. “Even back in August and September, when I see a student struggling and not going to class, I’ll say ‘just know that withdrawal is a possibility and this is what it would look like.’ … Part of our job is to inform a student about the withdrawal process and the times to make that decision.”Marshall-Roth said he was frustrated by tests required by the UCC and the lack of correspondence from the University while he was away. At the time, Student Affairs only had one case manager handling all students, and Stackman said “it was just grabbing on to students and trying to get them through that immediate crisis that we were in.”Now, the University is trying to make a point to reach out to withdrawn students more, Stackman said. Erica Kelsey is one of two case managers now, and she said she meets with each of her students before he or she leaves to understand their story and then keeps in touch with each while they’re away.“Now, we’re also doing readmission support groups on campus for students that are back,” she said. “It could be students readmitted for any reason at all, not specific to mental health, but the first meeting [this year] was an opportunity for students to give me feedback on what the withdrawal and readmission process was like for them.“The best way to improve a system is to hear from the people who have been through it. … I know a lot of students feel like when they leave, they’re the only one that left, and seeing other people that maybe left for similar reasons really might help them feel more comfortable and get integrated into the University faster.”Marshall-Roth said his readmission process was stressful because it came down to the last week of the fall 2013 semester, in the days before the University closed for winter break.“It was a big mess,” he said. “There are people that have an easier time, though. I think my situation was a little weird and extraordinary but it’s an interesting case study. Pretty much every part of the process was sub-optimal, I thought.”Marshall-Roth said he worked out his class schedule two days before the semester began and when he arrived back to campus, he had no idea where he would live.“I’d been offered a place in a triple in Sorin, but I didn’t really want to be there with other people, sharing a room with two other guys who were quite a bit younger than me,” he said.He ended up moving off campus and became involved with Notre Dame’s chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. He currently serves as the group’s vice president and is looking at applying to graduate school for chemistry.Stackman said they are currently reviewing the readmission process “not because it’s out of whack, but … because we always know there are opportunities to improve and make things better.”“We feel pretty good about the work that we do, we feel pretty good about our services, our programs, our systems,” he said. “But we’re getting useful feedback from students too, so we’re saying okay, how can we improve it? How can we improve it as you walk out the door and how can we improve it as you’re going through the process and making your decision?”The Office of Continuous Improvement is overseeing the review, Stackman said, and they have already added a second case manager to expand their ability to meet student needs.After his year away, Marshall-Roth said he was “so ready” to be back.“It’s kind of weird, though, because I have a very different opinion of this place now, having been through all of this,” he said. “Some friends, after they found out what was going on with me, they didn’t want to talk to me anymore, that kind of thing.“I guess I’ve been sort of disappointed in the caliber of a lot of the students here in terms of their compassion and their ability to actually look after other people, but I’ve been impressed with other people. I’ve made other friends.“Depression is the kind of thing you never really get rid of. You always have it. But you learn to realize that it’s a gift, instead of a curse. … Everybody has their own challenges, and you can make it. … I’m doing just fine now.”Tags: Bill Stackman, Irish State of Mind, mental illness, NAMI, Office of Student Affairslast_img read more

Coach confident West Indies can win

first_imgOttis Gibson. Photo credit: nationnews.comLONDON, England — West Indies coach Ottis Gibson said winning the first Test against all odds would be a “massive” boost for West Indies on their tour of England.Kemar Roach followed up defiant West Indies batting – again led by Shivnarine Chanderpaul – with two late wickets on Sunday to leave the match heading for a dramatic finish on Monday.Roach produced two quick, lifting deliveries to knock over England captain and first innings century-maker Andrew Strauss for one and night-watchman James Anderson for six, as the hosts reached 10 for two, chasing 191 for victory, in a torrid 20-minute period before the close on the penultimate day at Lord’s.“It would be massive,” said Gibson. “We are coming back [on Monday] to fight, make England fight for the rest of the runs, and if we do well enough to win, it would be great, we would celebrate.“But if not, whatever happens, we are going to get off the bus [on Monday] looking to fight hard and win. It will be tough, especially against the No.1 side in the World. We know it will be a battle, but we are up for that battle.“Coming on this tour, we always felt our bowling attack could cause a few problems and this will be a good opportunity for us to test our bowling attack against their batting. We know they need only 180 more runs, but we will come and fight really hard.”West Indies revival in the Test was sparked by a record 157-run stand for the fifth wicket between Chanderpaul and Marlon Samuels.Chanderpaul made 91 to follow up his first innings 87 and Samuels supported with 86, while Denesh Ramdin made 43 and West Indies captain Darren Sammy clocked in with a cameo of 37.“The batting more so has helped to give us the belief that we could win the Test,” said Gibson. “Batting for most of the day gave us heart. “Chanderpaul and Samuels were outstanding. We made it really tough for their bowlers to get our wickets and two wickets to Kemar in the evening gives us a lot of hope for [Monday].”Gibson added: “A lot was said before the start of the series about the inexperience of the side, but it was good to see the experienced players did their jobs [on Sunday]. . .and those guys are taking on more and more of the responsibility for the totals that the team gets and it makes a huge difference for us when our experienced players perform. “We know we have some inexperienced players and they will come good, but the experienced players are leading from the front and this is what we need and everybody is happy with efforts from [Sunday].”Caribbean News Now 51 Views   one comment NewsSports Coach confident West Indies can win by: – May 21, 2012 Sharing is caring! Sharecenter_img Share Share Tweetlast_img read more