RelatedPosts Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Crystal Palace stun sloppy Man U EPL: Red Devils attack Palace Odion Ighalo has refused to be drawn into speculation surrounding his future at Manchester United, and believes football must come secondary to health amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis. The 30-year-old has enjoyed a successful stint at Old Trafford since a surprise loan move was completed in January, but could find his time at his boyhood club cut short due to the world health pandemic. Ighalo’s six-month loan spell could expire before action resumes, but the ex-Nigerian international is adamant that discussing his future would be insensitive. After scoring four goals in all competitions since leaving Shanghai Shenhua, both Ighalo and United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer have hinted that the deal could be turned permanent. But currently, the frontman’s terms are set to run out on June 30 and football appears increasingly unlikely to have restarted by that point. However, Ighalo stressed that he is not thinking about his own predicament, and said that the pandemic sweeping across the world must be prioritised ahead of sport. When questioned over his contract dilemma, Ighalo told The Sun: “Talking about other things now will not only be selfish but terribly insensitive. I don’t even think about it. “The challenge before us now is not a football one, but a global one. “You can’t put football before health challenges. What matters right now is to keep safe and pray for those battling with the virus to recover fully. “This is another reminder for us to share love in this world. Continue to show kindness to one another because a problem facing one is a problem to all.” United have cancelled all first-team training sessions indefinitely after the top flight was postponed until April 30 at the earliest. Ighalo added: “We are all working individually away from the training ground and staying fit at home. “Of course I miss football, like other players and fans. But lives matter. “Staying safe and alive is our biggest game in the world now – and we all have a role to play in it.’ The former Watford ace experienced first-hand how coronavirus has rocked the sporting world after originally completing his switch to United. Ighalo had been forced to spend two weeks away from the rest of his new teammates after flying out from China due to precautions surrounding the spread of the virus.Tags: Manchester UnitedOdion IghaloOld TraffordOle Gunnar SolskjaerThe Sun
Students who think they’re being watched as they walk home late at night are probably right — but that’s a good thing.When Department of Public Safety officers notice students walking alone, they will often focus their security cameras on the student to make sure they stay safe.Eagle eye · In addition to vehicle patrols, Department of Public Safety officers also work to keep people safe through the video escort program, which relies on 15 security cameras. – Mike Lee | Daily TrojanThese “video escorts,” which have been in place for a while, are initiated by DPS when a student seems to be in a potentially harmful situation, according to DPS Capt. David Carlisle.“We have security officers monitoring the cameras around the clock,” Carlisle said. “If it’s late at night, and if a student is walking alone, we tell officers to video escort them.”The video escorts are limited to the 15 security cameras placed on poles on street corners and on USC property, Carlisle said. Carlisle noted that these cameras can only be placed on university property, but he could not give the exact location of the cameras for security reasons.The cameras are on 24 hours per day, and they each have a line of sight of about a block in two different directions.But because the security cameras are only in certain locations, video escorts are limited to particular areas. Carlisle said DPS is currently budgeting to implement significantly more cameras around campus in hopes of expanding the eye of surveillance.“If someone was at, say, Hoover and 27th [streets], and they were to walk back to campus, we wouldn’t have cameras for all those areas they’d have to traverse to get back here,” Carlisle said.Carlisle could not disclose how much it would cost to expand surveillance efforts, but some students think the effort may not be worth it at any cost.“I don’t know if it would make it any safer,” said Michael Jacobs, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering. “It could be a waste of money.”Currently, these video escorts are initiated and conducted by DPS, but Carlisle said much of the burden of safety falls on the shoulders of the students themselves.“If a student was feeling unsafe on campus, we hope that they’d call an escort, take a cab, take Campus Cruiser or call DPS to see if an officer is available for a free ride,” Carlisle said.Although Carlisle said the video patrols are solely for the safety and benefit of students, some students weren’t comfortable knowing that DPS may be watching them.Krystal Rodriguez, a freshman majoring in communication, had similar feelings.“I understand that they do all this for security and protection,” Rodriguez said. “But just the idea of having a camera follow you around is sort of creepy.”Other students, however, said the video escorts are a good precaution to take.“I don’t really mind,” said Chloe Cotoulas, a freshman majoring in political science. “They’re doing it for our own well-being, and I don’t mind being monitored or temporarily followed on a security camera if it means I’m going to be safer.”Karn Chopra, a freshman majoring in economics, agreed, saying that sacrificing some privacy was worth it for the safety of the student.“DPS is doing the right thing,” Chopra said. “I really don’t see the problem with this. It’s all for the benefit of the student.”Annie Yuan, a junior majoring in communication and psychology, said video escorts were a good attempt at making the area safer, but said there seemed to be a few flaws in the system.“Obviously we need more security around campus,” she said. “I know it’s not necessary everywhere, but I feel like they can’t watch everyone and I feel like some people want to be left alone.”
BRYAN FAUST/Herald photoWith thoughts of last year’s disappointing 51-48 loss to Northwestern in the distant past, the Wisconsin Badgers look to earn their second straight Big Ten victory this Saturday against the Wildcats.After two road games in as many weekends, Wisconsin (4-1, 1-1 Big Ten) returns to Camp Randall for Saturday’s 11 a.m. game against visiting Northwestern (2-3, 0-1), hoping for its first home conference win of the season.”It’s our house, and our fans,” UW wide receiver Luke Swan said. “It’s definitely something that we look forward to, coming back here.””It’s always nice to come back home to the friendly confines of Camp Randall,” safety Joe Stellmacher added.Friendly confines? The Wildcats may soon beg to differ.As Northwestern’s record indicates, things have hardly been easy sledding for the team so far this season. The Wildcats’ biggest setback, however, happened earlier this year, with the untimely death of head coach Randy Walker, who suffered a heart attack in June.”It’s always sad for that to happen to anybody,” UW safety Roderick Rogers said. “I know that’s very emotional for that team. That’s a sad situation.””He went at too young of an age,” Stellmacher added. “Very tragic, but you have the new coach coming in. He’s doing a heck of a job right now.”Walker’s replacement, Pat Fitzgerald, is the youngest coach in Division I-A, at just 31 years old.Northwestern’s game against Penn State last weekend saw Fitzgerald face off against the nation’s oldest coach, the 79-year-old, seemingly ageless wonder, Joe Paterno.The opposite will be true Saturday. Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema, 36, is the second-youngest after Fitzgerald.The Badgers hope to launch a solid running game on offense against a Wildcats defense that has given up an average of more than 130 yards per game on the ground.Northwestern will have its hands full with P.J. Hill, who has rushed for 598 yards and eight touchdowns so far and is the Big Ten’s second-highest rusher behind Michigan’s Mike Hart.”I think we just have the same game plan every week,” offensive lineman Kraig Urbik said. “Come out and be physical, try to run the ball, establish the running game.”Swan feels that getting the running game going will help open up the pass, which proved very successful last Saturday as the Badgers attacked the Indiana defense for 52 points.”Definitely being physical is a first,” he said. “We look to be physical all the time, and then just really stretch the field and get the passing game going like we did last weekend to continue the success we’ve had.”Defensively, Wisconsin’s main focus will be on running back Tyrell Sutton. Last year as a freshman, Sutton lit up the Badger defense for 244 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries. One of those carries, a 62-yard touchdown, eventually proved to be the game winner.The defensive unit has certainly learned its lesson from a year ago and goes into Saturday’s game prepared for the 5-foot-9, 190-pound Sutton.”Everyone has to know their assignment, be in their gaps,” Stellmacher said. “He’s a very strong and fast running back, and if guys are out of their gaps and not knowing their assignments, he’s going to exploit that. He’s going to hit the seam, and he’s certainly got the speed to go the distance.”With a much-improved defensive secondary from a year ago, Wisconsin hopes to continue its strong play at cornerback and safety, which has resulted in the top-ranked pass defense in the Big Ten.”I think guys are playing with more confidence,” Stellmacher said. “Pass defense is a total team effort. Our front seven, our D-line and linebackers, have really been getting some pressure on the quarterback. The more pressure you can get on the quarterback, the harder it is for him to make throws.”Slated to line up behind center for Northwestern will be redshirt freshman quarterback Andrew Brewer. Brewer is filling in for the injured Mike Kafka, who is also a redshirt freshman. Kafka is listed as questionable after sustaining a leg injury two weeks ago and sitting out last week’s contest at Penn State.While the young quarterbacking duo may lack experience, they make up for it in athletic ability and speed.”They’re good quarterbacks,” defensive lineman Nick Hayden said. “They both like to run the ball.””They’ve got a lot of ability,” Rogers added. “We don’t take their [inexperience] as a weakness. We just need to be prepared to stop whoever’s out on the field.”Stellmacher also sees Brewer and Kafka as young quarterbacks able to make an impact.”They’ll pull it down, and they’re not sliding when they’re out there,” he said. “They’ll try to run you over, and they’re fast. We gotta try to contain the quarterback and running game as best we can.”With the home crowd on their side this weekend, Wisconsin looks to build off last week’s thumping of the Hoosiers with another win at Camp Randall.The keys to another victory? Simple, says Rogers.”Stop big plays and tackle,” Rogers said. “When we do that, things go well for us.”
Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ On Oct. 21, Syracuse senior middle blocker Amber Witherspoon was benched halfway through the match against North Carolina State. SU head coach Leonid Yelin was critical of the way she reacted to his remarks and chose to send her a message. “We didn’t see this energy. We didn’t see this fire,” Yelin recalled saying to Witherspoon. “We didn’t see when we were talking to you, you responding.” Today, The usually dominant Syracuse (17-8, 13-4 Atlantic Coast) block was nullified by NC State (15-12, 9-8) in a 25-23, 25-20, 25-20 straight set loss. The Wolfpack tallied a .264 hit percentage and a total of 55 kills in only three sets. In the first set, the Orange middle blockers stopped only one NC State attack. The Wolfpack duo of freshman Jade Parchment and senior Teni Sopitan consistently evaded Witherspoon and senior Christina Oyawale. On set point, ahead 24-23, Sopitan fired a hit past Witherspoon’s right arm and over the clenched hands of senior Jalissa Trotter, handing the first set to NC State. On the very first point of the second set, senior Santita Ebangwese rejected a hit from sophomore Melissa Evans into the floor. She unleashed a scream as her teammates patted her on the back. Yet, that wasn’t a theme for what was to come. NC State spiked 15 kills and held the Orange to a .065 hit percentage. On the final point of the set, Trotter once again couldn’t deflect an NC State hit.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAs the third set came to its inevitable finale, Yelin didn’t appear angry. He sat on the bench with his left hand rested on the bottom of his chin. When Parchment crushed the final hit past Ebangwese, he gathered his notes, shook hands with NC State head coach Linda Hampton-Keith and paced towards the locker room. With only one match remaining on Saturday against Wake Forest, Syracuse is ranked No. 27. Since 2010, only two teams ranked better than No. 40 in RPI have missed the NCAA tournament. Published on November 21, 2018 at 4:28 pm Contact Adam: firstname.lastname@example.org | @_adamhillman
And Marseille quickly followed news of his suspension by terminating his contract with immediate effect.A statement published on Marseille’s website read: “Patrice Evra has been exemplary on the field and in the locker room. He played an important role in reviving the team and in the improvement of results.“However, on November 2 in Guimaraes he committed an irreparable act by responding to provocations from a handful of individuals.“Nothing justified such a reaction, especially from a senior player whose attitude both on and off the pitch should inspire the youngest of us. “In that context, the conditions were no longer right for Patrice Evra to accomplish his mission here with serenity or, above all, effectively.“Both parties agreed to end the collaboration by mutual consent.“This incident also highlighted the unacceptable attitude of a small number of people who uttered insults and threats of violence towards the player and his family before contemptuously invading the pitch.“Such behaviour, which exposes the club to sanctions, has no place in the stands of a football stadium and at Marseille in particular.”Club president Jacques-Henri Eyraud added: “Today, there is sadness. For Patrice Evra first, who obviously understood all the consequences of his action and who will no longer be able to exercise his passion at Olympique de Marseille.“Also for Marseille fans, who are stigmatised because of the irresponsible behaviour of a handful of them.”Marseille’s American owner Frank McCourt had described Evra’s behaviour as “unacceptable” and “not something that we can tolerate”, while fans held up a giant banner before last Sunday’s game against Caen saying: “We don’t want you in our colours anymore. Evra get lost.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Patrice Evra’s contract has been terminated by Marseille after he was banned until June 2018 for kung-fu kicking a fan.The former France captain was sent off before Marseille’s Europa League defeat against Vitoria on November 2 after lashing out at a supporter who Evra claimed was abusing him.UEFA charged Evra under article 15 of their disciplinary regulations, which deals with the misconduct of players, banning him from their club competitions until June.