Liberian, Sierra Leonean, and Guinean Communities in U.S., Europe Join to Honor Victims of…

first_imgAs the United States Capital City Washington DC observed “Ebola Awareness Day,” last Friday December 5,  Diaspora leaders from Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Mali gathered in  Washington DC to express solidarity with their four nations in the global fight to halt the Ebola Epidemic.In a solemn ceremony of regional kinship, leaders of the Mano River nations,  along with Malian nationals paid tribute to the deceased victims of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) including doctors, health workers and individual citizens, when they presented plaques of honor to their Ambassadors in Washington.  Special honors were also given to the noted Ebola survivors, Dr. Kent Brantley, and Nancy Writebol of Samaritan Purse, who were evacuated to the United States after contracting the deadly Ebola virus. The presentations were made at National Ebola Summit held at the Washington DC Convention Center by the Diaspora Ebola Network, (DEN). Presenting the awards, DEN Chairman John G.F. Lloyd said the presentations represented the deep sentiments of solidarity and grief felt by the communities of the three nations residing abroad. He extolled the marvelous sprit of collaboration among Diaspora nationals of the Mano River Union, noting “out of this moment of pain we have come together in an unprecedented fashion to show our love for our people.” He continued, “If this spirit of solidarity can endure even beyond Ebola, then the sacrifice of our people will not be in vain.” He was joined by the community leaders of Liberia Sierra Leone, and Guinea, from both America and Europe, who in separate remarks, expressed concern for the plight of their people at home, and pledged solidarity and support for the individual nations.   Dr. Lance Plyer, Samaritan Purse Medical Director for Liberia, who received the awards for the two U.S. survivors Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol expressed humble gratitude on behalf of his mission. After rendering a touching narration of the medical treatment he gave to sustain the life of the two survivors, he pledged the unwavering commitment of Samaritan Purse to the people of Liberia even beyond Ebola. Special recognition was also given to the late Thomas Eric Duncan of Liberia, and Dr. Martin Salia of Sierra Leone, who both succumbed to Ebola in the United States.Among key dignitaries at the event was Andrew Weber, the newly appointed Ebola Coordinator at United States Department of State who pledged the continued commitment of the United States government towards stopping Ebola in West Africa for the sake of global security. He noted that the U.S., under the leadership of President Obama is committed to increase its effort with added resources where necessary to ensure the end of the deadly epidemic in West Africa.Also present were top Washington DC City Officials including DC Director of Health Joxel Garcia and City Councilwoman Yvette Alexander, who officially brought greetings from the DC government with the reading of an official Proclamation by Washington DC Mayor Vincent Gray declaring the date of the Summit as “DC Ebola Awareness Day.”Their greetings were followed by remarks from the Ambassadors of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea, along with a statement by the Charge d’Affairs of Mali. In their official remarks, the four envoys expressed gratitude to the U.S. government, and the entire international community for the support given to their individual countries. Ambassador Jeremiah Sulunteh of Liberia praised the role of U.S. government and called upon the United States to continue in its role as the global leader in the fight to end Ebola. Ambassador Bockarie Stevens of Sierra Leone extolled the great initiative shown by the three communities, and welcomed the spirit of unity shown in the wake of Ebola. Guinean Ambassador Mamady Conde warned that Ebola is a global threat not limited to West Africa, adding “Ebola does not need any visa to enter a country.” For his part, Malian Charge d’Affairs Moustapha Cisse representing the latest nation to be infected, called upon the international community to work vigorously to stop Ebola at its early stages in Mali. Panel guests included representatives of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the D.C. Department of Health, Samaritan Purse, the DC Office of African Affairs, and other major international agencies.The National Ebola Summit was organized by DEN, a joint Venture of leading Mano River Union Diaspora organizations, in collaboration with the USAID-Center for International Disaster Information (CIDI), the Government of the District of Columbia Office of African Affairs, the CDC, and Samaritan Purse. Diaspora organizations working in partnership to host the Summit include the Coalition of Concerned Liberians, (CCL), the National Organization of Sierra Leoneans in North America (NOSLINA), and the Guinean Association of America, and the European Federation of Liberian Associations (ELFA), the Union of Liberian Associations in the Americas along with several national alumni, county based, religious, and humanitarian organizations.Under the theme “Working Together to Help End Ebola”, deliberations at the Summit were centered upon fostering collaboration and meaningful relations amongst Diaspora organizations and relief groups which have already raised millions of dollars in separate initiatives. The Washington DC Summit coincided with a similar initiative in London, UK organized by the “Elbow out Ebola” movement to highlight issues that will impact on the future recovery, and development in the worst affected West African countries, beyond the end of Ebola.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Skakel murder conviction upheld

first_imgNORWALK, Conn. – The state’s highest court has upheld Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel’s murder conviction, according to the victim’s mother, who said she was notified of the decision by prosecutors. Skakel, a nephew of Ethel Kennedy, was convicted in 2002 of bludgeoning his neighbor Martha Moxley, 15, to death with a golf club in 1975 in the high-income community of Greenwich, Conn. Skakel, also 15 at the time, is serving 20 years to life in prison. He appealed his conviction to the Connecticut Supreme Court last year, arguing among other things that the statute of limitations had expired when he was charged in 2000. Dorthy Moxley, Martha’s mother, said Thursday she was told by prosecutors that the high court had rejected Skakel’s appeal. She said she was told that the decision would be announced today. “I’m not at all doubtful Michael did this. I know he did this,” Moxley said. “I hope this is the last we’ll hear of them.” A prosecutor declined to speak publicly about the case while Michael Sherman, Skakel’s trial lawyer, said he was surprised by news reports of the decision. “Nothing will ever change my opinion that an innocent man is in jail,” he said. “He’s simply not guilty.” Details of the Supreme Court’s decision were not immediately available. The written opinion will be made public on the judiciary Web site. The defense had argued that, at the time of the killing, the statute of limitations for a 15-year-old defendant was five years, so Skakel could not be prosecuted. Skakel’s attorneys also had argued that the case should not have been transferred to Superior Court from Juvenile Court, where he was first charged. Authorities have called the transfer from Juvenile Court reasonable since Skakel was 40 when he was arrested. Skakel’s appellate attorneys also contended that prosecutors engaged in misconduct during closing arguments by calling Skakel a “spoiled brat” in an effort to inflame the jury. Further, they criticized the prosecution for presenting a taped interview of Skakel that was played while a projected photo of a smiling Martha Moxley dissolved into a grim crime-scene photo. Authors of a defense brief called the audiovisual presentation a “made-for-conviction movie.” Prosecutors said the closing argument was based on evidence and testimony from witnesses. Skakel still has a petition for a new trial pending in Stamford Superior Court. In that appeal, a cousin of basketball star Kobe Bryant implicates two other men in the murder. Prosecutors have said they are skeptical of that claim. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Nigeria’s Super Eagles soar to Afcon title

first_imgNigeria were making the early running and forced the first corner and free kick of the game, although Brown Ideye went down with little input from a Burkina Faso player. Bance managed a flick-on from the free kick, but Enyeama was well positioned and caught the ball comfortably against his chest. Vuvuzelas blared and South African President Jacob Zuma was on hand to wish the two teams well as a packed crowd of 85 000 took in the title-decider. For Nigeria, it was a first final since 2000. For Burkina Faso, it was uncharted territory. When time expired, four minutes of additional time was added on. First decent attackBurkina Faso’s first decent attack came after 15 minutes and it included a nice interchange of passes between Pitroipa and the big striker Aristide Bance. The Super Eagles conceded a corner, but it came to nought for the Burkinabe. Ten minutes later, Bance blasted a shot high over the Nigerian goal from outside the box after neatly chesting down a long pass. In the 38th minute, the first yellow card of the game was shown to Ogenyi Onazi for a studs-up challenge and Burkina Faso’s free kick that followed came close to catching out the Nigerian defenders. The ball was delivered from the left to the far post where Bakary Kone met it, but his aim was off and Enyeama was not called on to make a save. In the 65th minute Nigeria lost Elderson Echiejile to an injury. As he went off, Wildred Sanou came on for Florent Rouamba, as coach Paul Put made the first change for Burkina Faso. Juwon Oshaniwa came on for Echiejile. His first contribution was to stop Charles Kabore illegally and earn himself a yellow card. Victor Moses got behind the defence on the right and it needed some good cover defence to snuff out the danger. Diakite spilt the resulting corner, but the snapshot from Ideye passed over the crossbar. Midfield controlBurkina Faso were no doubt committing more to attack than they had in the first half, but Nigeria still controlled the midfield and the Burkinabe were finding it a tough job to break down the Nigerians in that area. Not only were there supporters of the finalists in the stadium, but also plenty of football fans in the colours of the host nation’s national football team, Bafana Bafana. Last chanceIn the time added on, Ideye was shown a yellow card when he stopped a Burkina Faso attack with his right hand, but the shot was a disappointing one and didn’t force Enyeama into a save. Burkina Faso’s last chance had gone. Nigeria were clearly dictating terms in the early going, forcing the Burkinabe back into their half. Whenever the Stallions managed to break out of defence, the Super Eagles were quick to get players back behind the ball and regain possession. The big, blonde-haired striker was then narrowly wide of Victor Enyeama’s right-hand post from a free kick. Abdou Traore came on for Djakaridja Kone as Put rolled the dice for a final time. Less than a minute remained in regulation time. 10 February 2013 With time running down, Moumouni Dagano came on for Paul Koulibaly as coach Put replaced a defender with a striker. Burkina Faso tried to find a quick reply. Prejuce Nakoulma came close to delivering an equaliser, but was ruled offside as he put Enyeama under pressure. Bance, as he had done a little earlier, again shot high over the goal from range. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material There was a heart-in-mouth moment for the Stallions just before the break when Mba intercepted a pass and snapped off a shot, but he was leaning back as he hit it and it flew high over the Burkina Faso goal. Good chanceIn the third minute of the second half, Nigeria had a good chance to double their lead when Victor Moses found Brown Ideye deep in the Burkinabe box, but Ideye’s aim wasn’t true and his shot passed across the face of Diakite’s goal.center_img The curtain came down on the Orange Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) at the National Stadium in Johannesburg on Sunday evening when Nigeria and Burkina Faso dueled to decide the champion team of Africa. After 94 minutes of action, the Super Eagles had secured their third Afcon title by a 1-0 margin. Peculiar defendingBurkina Faso were taking the game to Nigeria, but were almost caught on the break. Some peculiar defending saw the Stallions’ central defenders exchanging a short pass across goal right on the edge of the six-yard box and Ideye picked up the ball, but couldn’t get a shot away. Nigeria were almost rewarded for a patient build-up after half-an-hour when Uche played Ideye in, but the striker’s first touch let him down and Diakite, in the Burkina Faso goal, was able to gather the ball and stop the threat. Not far wideBy now the game head really opened up and Burkina Faso swung back onto the attack. Sanou found Nakoulma down the right and then received the ball back. His first time shot was not far wide of Enyeama’s right-hand post. The crowd oohed and aahed. The final whistle sounded. Enyeama, curiously, tried to lift the referee in celebration. Nigeria and their fans celebrated and coach Stephen Keshi became only the second man after Egyptian Mahmoud Al Gohari to win the Africa Cup of Nations as a player and a coach. GoalFive minutes from the break, Paul Koulibaly struggled to deal with a long, low pass from the back of the Nigerian defence. In trying to control the ball, he was robbed of possession and Ike Uche picked it up on the right, just outside the Burkina Faso box. He passed inside for Moses, whose shot was blocked. The ball, however, found Sunday Mba, who controlled it with his body before knocking it over a defender with his right foot. Before it hit the ground. he struck it with his left foot into the far corner to give Nigeria the lead with a goal befitting of the occasion of a final. The Super Eagles were crowding the middle of the park, making it difficult for the Burkinabe to release any passes down the flanks from there, which had the effect of forcing the Stallions to try a good number of long balls out of defence. Coach Stephen Keshi made his first change after eight minutes of the second haf, bringing on Ahmed Musa for Uche, who had been a little off song and had failed to make an impact. Early touchDaouda Diakite had an early touch of the ball for Burkina Faso when a cross come shot from Efe Ambrose flew neatly into his midriff. He easily caught the ball to end the first attack of the game. With less than 15 minutes remaining, the Nigerian fans could be heard singing “All we are saying is give us a goal” to the tune of the famous John Lennon song, “All we are saying is give peace a chance”. Sanou got onto the end of a corner unchallenged, but his header back into the middle was knocked behind by the Nigerian defenders for another corner. The teams turned with Nigeria one goal to nil ahead. Nigeria countered with a swift break out of defence and Victor Moses set up Musa for a shot from inside the Burkina Faso box, but the substitute slipped on a sandy part of the field and went down, which allowed the Stallions time to turn over possession and clear the danger. The Nigerian bench and fans leapt to their feat. Mba, surrounded by his team-mates, fell to his knees in celebration. It was his second goal of the tournament. His first, in a quarterfinal win over Cote d’Ivoire, was equally good. Moses had a good opportunity to increase Nigeria’s lead when the Super Eagles out-manned the Stallions as they broke away from defending a corner. He was a litte undecided whether or not to pass or shoot and in the end his shot was partially blocked and rolled gently into the hands of Diakite. The big team news before the contest was the absence of star striker Emmanuel Emenike for the Super Eagles because of an injury and the inclusion of Jonathan Pitroipa for the Stallions after a red card he received in the semi-finals was rescinded. Kenneth Omeruo was shown the game’s second yellow card when he fouled Pitroipa with a knee to knee tackle. John Obi Mikel, well known for having a short fuse, had words with the referee and was also shown a yellow. Pitroipa left the field on a stretcher but returned a short while later from the sideline. Musa then put in a super cross, low across goal from the left. Diakite missed the ball, but so too did Ideye and the Stallions breathed a sigh of relief.last_img read more

USDA announces $30 million available to develop new food and ag products

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced that USDA is making $30 million available to farmers, ranchers and food entrepreneurs to develop new product lines. Funding will be made available through the Value-Added Producer Grant (VAPG) program.“Farmers and ranchers are creative people who, with a little help, can put that creativity to work and improve the bottom line for their operations,” Vilsack said. “Value-Added Producer Grants enable them to develop new product lines to grow their businesses and expand their contributions to our nation’s economy. This support is especially important for beginning farmers, military veterans engaging in farming and smaller farm operations participating in the local and regional food system.”More information on how to apply is on page 26528 of the May 8 Federal Register. The deadline to submit paper applications is July 7. Electronic applications submitted through are due July 2.VAPG grants can be used to develop new product lines from raw agricultural products or additional uses for already developed product lines. Military veterans, socially disadvantaged, and beginning farmers and ranchers; operators of small- and medium-sized family farms and ranches; farmer and rancher cooperatives; and applicants that propose mid-tier value chain projects are given special priority in applying for VAPGs. Additional priority is given to group applicants who seek funding for projects that “best contribute” to creating or increasing marketing opportunities for these type of operators.Since 2009, USDA has awarded 853 Value-Added Producer Grants totaling $104.5 million. Approximately 19 percent of the grants and 13 percent of total funding has been awarded to beginning farmers and ranchers. During the 2013-2014 funding cycle, nearly half of VAPG awards went to farmers and ranchers developing products for the local food sector. Value-Added Producer Grants are a key element of the USDA’s Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Initiative, which coordinates the Department’s work on local and regional food systems. Secretary Vilsack has identified local and regional food systems as one of the four pillars of rural economic development.last_img read more

Lady Tams book last semis trip

first_imgRed Lions want to feast on Altas; JRU vs Benilde MOST READ PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd PLAY LIST 02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd00:50Trending Articles00:40Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Far Eastern University bucked Lyceum’s gutsy stand as it rallied for an 18-25, 28-26, 25-15, 25-17 win and clinch the last semifinal berth in the Premier Volleyball League Collegiate Conference on Monday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.The Lady Tams ended the elimination round at 4-1 to wound up second behind unbeaten Group A topnotcher National U Lady Bulldogs (5-0).ADVERTISEMENT Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next LATEST STORIES LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary They also dashed the Ateneo Lady Eagles’ (3-2) hopes for a playoff for the other Final Four seat.For a while, Ateneo stood a chance as Lyceum stunned a listless FEU side in the opening frame. The Lady Pirates likewise fought back from huge deficits in the second to force a deuce, only to yield with late miscues.That enabled the Lady Tams to equalize and regroup to cruise to the next stage against Group B topnotcher Adamson.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNU will tangle with Group B No. 2 Arellano at the start of the best-of-three semifinals on Wednesday.In the nightcap, Adamson outlasted San Beda, 22-25, 25-23, 25-16, 21-25, 15-11, to sweep the Group B elimination.Earlier, NU survived St. Benilde, 25-27, 29-27, 25-19, 16-25, 15-11, to clinch the last semifinal berth in the men’s division. BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president View commentslast_img read more

NSW State Cup

first_imgThe State Cup will see teams from 53 affiliates across NSW contest 16 divisions, including the introduction of the Mixed B division.The three day tournament is in its 33rd year and 2009 is the 21st consecutive year that it has been played in Port Macquarie. All 23 fields at the precinct will be used for the 184 teams who have entered in the event. The following divisions will be contested at the event: two divisions in the Men’s, Women’s and Mixed Open’s divisions, as well as Men’s and Women’s 20’s, 30’s and 40’s, Men’s 35’s, 45’s and 50’s and Senior Mixed. The introduction of the Mixed B division has proved popular, with 12 affiliates taking advantage of the new division. Among the most popular divisions also include the Men’s Open B Division, with 21 teams, while the Men’s 50’s division has 16 teams in the running for the title.Wests Magpies will be looking to go for back to back titles in the Men’s Open division, after their win over Hornsby in the 2008 grand final. Canterbury Bulldogs and Wests Magpies will be aiming to make it four consecutive titles in the Women’s and Mixed Open divisions respectively, having won their respective titles in 2006, 2007 and 2008. The round games will be contested on Friday and Saturday, before finals commence on Sunday at 8am. The first of the grand finals will be played at 12.40pm. The Women’s Open final will be played at 1.50pm, followed by the Dash for Cash at 2.30pm. The Men’s Open final will be played at 2.40pm, with the Mixed Open final to follow at 3.30pm.Stay tuned for the next edition of the Touch Footy Show, which includes a preview of the NSW State Cup. NBN and Port Macquarie News have already started their coverage of the event. To view their stories, please click on the following links: more information, please visit the following websites: read more

2016 NTL Day Two Wrap

first_imgBy Eden Richards Teams will be putting it all on the line as they head into day three chasing a finals berth. Several competitions are evenly poised heading into the final day of fixtures.Injuries featured heavily on day two as many teams struggled with the extreme Coffs Harbour heat taking its toll. The Brisbane City Cobras sit undefeated at the top of the Mixed Open competition with the South Queensland Sharks and Sydney Rebels sitting 2nd and 3rd respectively. The Sydney Mets round out the top four. The Sydney Mets are the stand out team in the Men’s T League Pool A as they continue a strong undefeated run. Pool B is a Queensland affair with the Central Queensland Bulls (A) sitting undefeated on top and the South Queensland Sharks (A) just one win behind. It’s a two horse race in the Women’s T League Pool A as both the Hunter Western Hornets and Victoria sit on five wins from five starts.The two leaders will play tomorrow morning to decide who finishes first. Pool B is being dominated by Queensland with the top five teams all coming from the region. The Sunshine Coast Pineapples sit undefeated in 1st.The Sharks and the Rebels cannot be separated after day two of the Women’s 27’s with both sitting 10 points clear at the top of the standings. The Scorpions are the team to beat in the Men’s 30’s as they round out the 2nd day of competition undefeated. In a huge gap in the class the Hornets have failed to win a game and will look to disrupt the finals chances of their competitors tomorrow. The Pineapples and the Hornets are battling it out for 2nd and 3rd in the Women’s 35’s as the Cobras sit top. A clear top four has emerged in the Men’s 40’s with the Hornets, Mets and Cobras all undefeated. The Defence Warriors are chasing hard in 4th. The South West Queensland Swans remain undefeated in the Women’s 40’s with the North Queensland Tropical Cyclones and the Hornets sitting one game behind. The Scorpions and the Sharks have all but secured the top two spots in the Men’s 45’s and the Men’s 50’s. The Cyclones and the Southern Suns are dominating in Pool A of the Men’s 55’s and the Mets today extended their unbeaten run to four games in Pool B. The Senior Mixed is a battle between three with the Sharks A, Suns and Scorpions all sitting together at the top of the table on 16 points. Related LinksNTL Day Two Wraplast_img read more

17 days agoNakhi Wells keen on QPR stay

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Nakhi Wells keen on QPR stayby Paul Vegas17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNahki Wells would welcome a permanent switch to Queens Park Rangers.The Burnley striker has excelled during his second loan spell with West London, having scored seven goals this season.Asked about joining QPR permanently, Wells said: “That’s all stuff that’s beyond any of my decision-making of course.”But I think the club, the fans, the board – everyone knows what my decision would be.”I love it here, it feels like home to me.”Of course football is a business though and there’s a lot more that goes into it than just me saying I’d like to stay here.”But if it was possible I wouldn’t hesitate one bit.” last_img read more

PM Holness arrives in Namibia for Historic State Visit

first_img The Prime Minister, who arrived at the Namibian Hosea Kutako Airport, was welcomed with traditional festivities at the Airport by Namibian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of International Relations and Corporation, The Hon Netumbo Nandi-Ndtaitwah, Pohamba Shifeta, Minister of Environment and Tourism and the Hon Christine //Hoebes, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation and other dignitaries. Prime Minister Andrew Holness has arrived in Namibia for what is the first official State visit by a Jamaican Head of Government to that country. Story Highlightscenter_img Prime Minister Andrew Holness has arrived in Namibia for what is the first official State visit by a Jamaican Head of Government to that country.The Prime Minister, who arrived at the Namibian Hosea Kutako Airport, was welcomed with traditional festivities at the Airport by Namibian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of International Relations and Corporation, The Hon Netumbo Nandi-Ndtaitwah, Pohamba Shifeta, Minister of Environment and Tourism and the Hon Christine //Hoebes, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation and other dignitaries.Prime Minister Holness is accompanied on his visit by Minister of Culture Hon Olivia Grange, High Commissioner for Jamaica to South Africa, H.E. Ms Angella Comfort, Ms Shorna-Kay Richards, Director of Bilateral Relations at the Ministry Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Honourary Counsel for Jamaica in Namibia Professor Earl Taylor, and son of Marcus Garvey, Dr. Julius Garvey.The Prime Minister engaged in a brief courtesy call with Deputy Prime Minister, The Hon Netumbo Nandi-Ndtaitwah. He was then transported in convoy to the Namibian State House where he had a short meeting with the President of the Republic of Namibia, H.E. Dr Hage G Geingob.Both leaders expressed sincere appreciation for the strong ties between Jamaica and Namibia and spoke of the history of cooperation between the two countries in relation to Namibia’s independence struggle.Prime Minister Holness will tomorrow commence the main program of his State visit, where he will hold official talks with the Namibian President, during which an MOU on cooperation in the field of Sports and one for political consultations will be signed.Also tomorrow, Prime Minister Holness will meet with members of the Namibian Private sector at a luncheon to be hosted by the Namibian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.Prime Minister Holness will then join the President of Namibia for the renaming of a street in the Capital City of Windhoek, in Honour of Jamaica’s First National Hero Marcus Mosiah Garvey.last_img read more

Stena Impero Docks in Dubai after 2Month Detention in Iran

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: Stena Bulk The released tanker Stena Impero safely docked in Dubai in the afternoon hours of September 28, the ship’s owner confirmed.Erik Hanell, President and CEO of Stena Bulk, said that the company met with all the crew. He added that the seafarers “are in good spirits and looking forward to a well-deserved extended leave ashore.”“The sole concern and focus of Stena Bulk & Northern Marine Management throughout this worrying period has been for the safety of the crew and their timely release. Our support for them and their families will continue for as long as is required,” Hanell noted.“Considering the circumstances of the past 10 weeks, the vessel is in good condition, which is testament to the professionalism of the Master and his crew who attended to their duties throughout.”Hanell further noted that the families of crew members have been informed and the company is making arrangements for the repatriation of the sixteen seafarers “at the earliest possible opportunity.”The 46,575 cbm ship was detained near the Strait of Hormuz for alleged marine violations on July 19. After being held in the port of Bandar Abbas for over two months, Stena Impero left Iranian waters last week.Iran’s Ports & Maritime Organization said that, although the ship ban was lifted, the process of investigating violations and announcing the final results of the legal proceeds is ongoing.Stena Bulk informed that the 2018-built tanker, with a new crew on board, will have a period of time in Dubai, where checks will be made before it re-enters service.last_img read more