OAKLAND — No criminal charges will be filed against Toronto Raptor’s president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri, who was accused of pushing and striking an Alameda County sheriff’s deputy after Game 6 of the NBA Finals in June, an Alameda District Attorney spokeswoman said Tuesday.“The District Attorney’s Office has determined that no criminal charges will be filed in the matter,” said spokeswoman Teresa Drenick. “However, Mr. Ujiri attended a meeting with the District Attorney’s Office …
8 March 2006Tsotsi, the first South African-made film to win an Oscar, has put the country’s movie industry firmly in the spotlight.Arts and Culture Minster Pallo Jordan said after the award that it proved that South African film “not only has the potential to stand tall and compete as equals with our international counterparts, but is also of world class.”International debutTsotsi’s success at this year’s Oscars was anticipated by Yesterday, South Africa’s entry for the best foreign language film at last year’s Oscars.“The fact that a South African film has been nominated for an Oscar for the second consecutive year speaks volumes for the level of talent that exists in the country,” the National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) said in a statement.“All that was needed was for the talent to be exposed.”The NFVF, funders of Tsotsi to the tune of R1-million, assisted the producers to take the film to the Toronto Film Festival, where it made its international debut.Tsotsi walked off with the People’s Choice award at that festival, the first of many awards it has since won.The NVFV’s contribution was a part of R35-million earmarked for movie production funding over a three-year period by the Department of Arts and Culture. Twenty-six feature-length films have so far benefited from this programme.‘Film making country’The NFVF and the department have maintained a South African presence at the Cannes Film Festival for the past several years, an approach they believe is paying dividends in the increased visibility of South African productions.“The strategy has always been to increase the volume of films, market South Africa as a film making country, and position South Africa as a partner for co-productions,” says NFVF CEO Eddie Mbalo.“After this win, the challenge will be to ensure a continuous supply of films if we are to be guaranteed audience loyalty.”Investor returnsTsotsi was entirely locally made by a South African cast and crew. James Whitehouse, chairman of production company Sasani, told The Star that this augurs well for the industry.He said that Tsotsi’s success would encourage government and investor confidence in the industry.“Up to now they’ve been getting bad returns from the film industry,” Whitehouse says. “This will ensure that Tsotsi will get good returns. This will encourage investment.”Domestic box officeAt the same time as South Africa’s films are enjoying critical acclaim overseas, locally made films are scoring increasingly success at the domestic box office.Tsotsi earned more than R500 000 in its South African opening weekend, three times more than the critically acclaimed Hotel Rwanda, and more than twice as much as Yesterday.On circuit for four weeks before the Oscar announcement, the film has already earned more than R3.2-million in South Africa.Leon Schuster’s blockbusters are the only South African movies that have earned more locally.Ster Kinekor marketing manager Helen Kuun told Business Day that the film, in its fourth week of release, grossed 19% more than the week before.“That kind of thing just doesn’t happen,” Kuun said.Locals are being presented with more South African choices at the cinema, with more local films having been released in the past 12 months than ever before.These releases have ranged from critics’ favourites such as Tsotsi to Ronnie Apteker’s Crazy Monkey and the Leon Schuster’s Mama Jack, the highest-grossing South African film ever.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
The client you have served faithfully for all these years will be gone someday. It’s likely it won’t be your fault. They will change the way they do business. A larger company will swallow them up. They’ll move the part of the operation that you serve to a location where you can’t reach them.Given long enough, you will lose your best clients.The contact with whom you’ve had the best and most productive relationship will someday be gone, no longer there to protect you from competitive threats. She’ll take a new job in another department. She’ll leave the company to start her own business. Or she’ll move to California.You will be friends with this client forever, but you will no longer have her business.The person who blocks you from even gaining a meeting with your dream client has been in his role forever. There is no way that he is letting you in. One day, without warning, he will be gone. He will be fired for reasons you may never know. He’ll go back to school to change careers. Maybe he’s tired and he’ll just retire.The person who prevents you from winning your dream client won’t be able to keep you out forever, provided you persist.The economy is perfect for you. You are selling more and at higher margins than ever. Quarter after quarter, the numbers only go up. And then, suddenly, they drop. Not much. Just a little.Lines that go up eventually retrace their steps. And lines that go down can also change directions.It is easy to perceive that something that has been the way it is now for a long time isn’t going to change. When a line is trending downwards, it looks like it will continue in that direction. The same is true when the trend is moving in a positive direction.Over time, things change. And people with the willingness to believe something different is possible, that change is inevitable, and who are willing to take the actions necessary to bring their vision to life, are the people who change things.Accept that change is inevitable. Then make the change you want to see. Get the Free eBook! Learn how to sell without a sales manager. Download my free eBook! You need to make sales. You need help now. We’ve got you covered. This eBook will help you Seize Your Sales Destiny, with or without a manager. Download Now
Don’t talk, just kiss” may well be the mantra of lovelorn couples when given half a chance alone in a city park. Not so for Mumbai’s lovers.The city’s moral police in connivance with authorities of such public spots have recently enforced regulations quite unsympathetic to Pop group Right Said Fred’s,Don’t talk, just kiss” may well be the mantra of lovelorn couples when given half a chance alone in a city park. Not so for Mumbai’s lovers.The city’s moral police in connivance with authorities of such public spots have recently enforced regulations quite unsympathetic to Pop group Right Said Fred’s naughty suggestions.At Colaba Woods & Sports Complex at Cuffe Parade, guards hold the threat of the nearby police station to duos getting closer than permissible.At the Bandstand Park in south Mumbai, the city police often make surprise checks. The Kamla Raheja Foundation’s garden at Santa Cruz likes to call itself a “family oriented” place (read “no necking please”).And Patwardhan Park at Bandra actually has a rule book regarding behaviour of couples.Looks like the already crowded sea promenades in the city will now see a steep rise in passion quotient.
Wallsend Touch Complex, Lewis St, Wallsend.Details of the day are as follows:Managers Meeting 8:30amFirst Round Girls: 9:00amFirst Round Boys: 9:25amPlease note the State Final could possibly conclude as late as 3:00pmContact: NSW Touch AssociationPhone: (02) 9558 9333Email: email@example.comWeb: http://www.nswtouch.com.au
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: We’re ignoring Man Cityby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is happy to be top of the table again after victory over Manchester United.Klopp insists he wasn’t bothered by Manchester City returning to the summit before Liverpool kicked off.He said, “We ignored it completely. I cannot say we passed [the test of winning after City won] because we didn’t think about it. I didn’t mention it one time. We are not silly, we know the table. Are you focused on it or not? I said it before, we played tonight Man United – and not against United and City. “That’s the only way I know and we really didn’t speak about it. I think that already helps. It’s not that they win and then we come together, train and say: ‘Did you see what City did?’ We are focused on our game and we will see where it leads us to. “If there is a moment in the end of the season when we’re still around them and we have to think about [them] and start hoping they drop points, maybe – I don’t know today. In the moment we respect them a lot, they respect us, and we have to win football games against all the others. Then we meet on January 3 again and then we think about City a lot.”
Liverpool boss Klopp: All the way from Norway to ask me that?by Paul Vegas6 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer doesn’t need his advice.Klopp was asked by a reporter from Dagbladet if he had words for Solskjaer as United continue to struggle.The German replied: “Hahahaha! Do you really think you can fly over from Norway and ask about it? Wow.”He doesn’t need it. Come on. He has been in the club for a total of 10-15 years. He knows everything about it. He has experience as a manager in football. He knows what he needs to do. It just has to work. That’s it for all of us. “That’s why so many managers get fired at some point, because some internally loses patience. Then you have to go.”From my point of view it looks like he sits there safely. They all knew it was going to be a difficult job.”I don’t think you have to worry about Ole. He is in a good position.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
zoomImage Courtesy: Stena Bulk The released tanker Stena Impero safely docked in Dubai in the afternoon hours of September 28, the ship’s owner confirmed.Erik Hanell, President and CEO of Stena Bulk, said that the company met with all the crew. He added that the seafarers “are in good spirits and looking forward to a well-deserved extended leave ashore.”“The sole concern and focus of Stena Bulk & Northern Marine Management throughout this worrying period has been for the safety of the crew and their timely release. Our support for them and their families will continue for as long as is required,” Hanell noted.“Considering the circumstances of the past 10 weeks, the vessel is in good condition, which is testament to the professionalism of the Master and his crew who attended to their duties throughout.”Hanell further noted that the families of crew members have been informed and the company is making arrangements for the repatriation of the sixteen seafarers “at the earliest possible opportunity.”The 46,575 cbm ship was detained near the Strait of Hormuz for alleged marine violations on July 19. After being held in the port of Bandar Abbas for over two months, Stena Impero left Iranian waters last week.Iran’s Ports & Maritime Organization said that, although the ship ban was lifted, the process of investigating violations and announcing the final results of the legal proceeds is ongoing.Stena Bulk informed that the 2018-built tanker, with a new crew on board, will have a period of time in Dubai, where checks will be made before it re-enters service.
Sanaa: An explosion near two schools in the rebel-held Yemeni capital killed 14 children and wounded 16, the UN said Tuesday, but the cause of the weekend blast remains unclear. Most of the child casualties in the city’s Saewan district were girls under the age of nine, according to statements by both the UN children’s fund (UNICEF) and the UN special envoy for Yemen. Yemen’s Huthi rebels have accused a Saudi-led military coalition backing the government of carrying out an air strike. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US The coalition denied conducting any air raids on the capital on Sunday. “A blast in Sanaa this week killed 14 children and critically injured 16. This is what UNICEF was able to verify, with the actual number of children killed and injured likely to increase,” said UNICEF’s Middle East and North Africa director, Geert Cappelaere. “It was almost lunchtime and students were in class. The blast shattered the windows and unleashed a burst of shrapnel and broken glass into the classrooms.” Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls The United Nations and international aid groups have called for an investigation into the Sunday explosion but have not apportioned blame. The World Health Organization estimates nearly 10,000 Yemenis have been killed since 2015, when Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened to prevent the defeat of the government in the face of a rebel offensive. Human rights groups say the real death toll is several times higher. The conflict has pushed millions of Yemenis to the brink of mass starvation, in what the UN has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Both sides stand accused of actions that could amount to war crimes. The coalition has been blacklisted by the UN for the killing of children. Saudi Arabia and its allies accuse the Huthis of using civilians as human shields in densely populated areas.
Just six months after UAB President Ray Watts made what he termed an agonizing decision to shut down the school’s football program because of its pending financial insolvency, he announced Monday that Blazer football is back. Sometime in the next couple of years — once UAB has re-recruited its players, reassembled its coaching staff and regained admission to the Football Bowl Subdivision — Birmingham will once again have a (relatively) big-time college football program.A whole lot changed in the interim, including the data being used to back up the decisions. In his announcement of the reversal, Watts cited an influx of outside financial pledges to the football team as the key reason a program is once again viable. Some observers, including Paul Finebaum, a popular sports-talk-radio host in the South, point to the fervent outpouring of support for the team after its demise. (Online, the #freeuab movement has been particularly impressive and has often been coupled with the #fireraywatts hashtag.) Local politicians have also been pressuring Watts into reinstatement, perhaps because much of the pressure behind the decision to shut down the program seems to have come from Tuscaloosa, where the University of Alabama football program has often been hostile toward UAB’s. But the biggest change seems to be which model of Blazer football’s financial future Watts and UAB are choosing to trust.Over the past year, entities within UAB have commissioned three separate forecasts from three consulting groups to analyze the financial prospects of its athletic department with and without football. Universities often lean on projections from outside consultants when making major decisions, but these projections are controlled by the formulas the consultants use — formulas that aren’t always statistically rigorous. In this case, despite having access to much of the same data, the reports contain completely different projections about the program’s impact on the university. One says it will cost the university millions of dollars a year. Another says the program will roughly break even. And another — the one UAB tried to cancel midway through — says football will be a huge financial boon. Small differences the consultants made in the assumptions behind the models created huge effects in the data sets. As a result, their recommendations were completely different.When Watts announced the death of the program in December, he cited a report from CarrSports Consulting projecting that if the athletic department kept football, it would lose more than $5 million a year and would need to spend an additional $20 million to improve facilities. CarrSports got those numbers by pairing generous calculations for the cost of fielding what it termed a competitive Conference USA team with modest increases in ticket sales, donations and student fees. “When considering a model that best protects the financial future and prominence of the athletic department, football is simply not sustainable,” Watts wrote at the time.Pushback in the wake of the decision, combined with complaints over the discovery that some may have been planning for the cancellation before the review even started, led UAB’s Athletic Assessment Task Force to commission another study. This time the consultants were College Sports Solutions (CSS). CSS said that although an athletic department with a football team would lose roughly $3 million a year compared with a department without football, mainly because of financial aid for players, almost all of that would be made up by increased enrollment, donations and other revenue resulting from the national prominence a football team brings. The study concluded that either resurrecting the program or leaving it for dead were “viable options”; Watts leaned on this report when announcing football’s return.There was another study, too, that fell between CSS’s and CarrSports’s. The task force had originally engaged a firm called OSKR to lead the review before the administration vetoed its hiring in March. Allen Bolton, UAB vice president of financial affairs and administration, said he was worried that the OSKR team had already made up its mind that UAB should keep the sport, explaining that “due to their very own comments this firm does not meet the critical threshold for many of providing a fresh, new, unbiased analysis.” OSKR finished its review anyway and found that keeping football would add an additional $2 million a year to the university’s coffers once benefits from donations and exposure were accounted for. OSKR’s projections are the most optimistic, and they seem to be the most rigorous. They model not only expected changes in the athletic budget over time, but also the impact of the team on the university’s media coverage, out-of-state enrollment and conference affiliation.Two major factors caused the $7 million swing in annual projections that led to the disparate recommendations: First are projections on how fast football-related revenue will grow. CarrSports projects that with football, the athletic department’s revenue will grow a measly $300,000 or so a year, while OSKR and CSS both project more than $1 million each year in added revenues. The larger forecast makes sense considering that Conference USA’s TV deal with Fox Sports alone is worth more than $1 million a year to each team.Second are assumptions about expenses. Both the CarrSports and CSS reports treat athletic scholarships as, basically, gifts that cost the university about $4 million to give each year. In his Tumblr, OSKR consultant Andy Schwarz argues that this is willful manipulation because the actual expense to the school to feed, educate and house its players is much, much lower than the projected $52,000 each scholarship “costs.” In addition, he notes that the program attracts full-tuition-paying walk-ons who are transferring out now that the program has been shuttered. By OSKR’s math, scholarships cost the university only about a million dollars a year.Once you add in the reports’ different assumptions about football’s impact on student enrollment and alumni donations and the need to upgrade facilities to be competitive, you’re left with the final mess, in which UAB’s president can totally reverse course — and still have a model that backs him up.