The Eighth Amendment debate – One Donegal woman’s heartbreaking story

first_imgA Donegal mother has opened up about the impossible decision she faced after discovering her baby had a fatal foetal abnormality.Nicola Cavanagh’s second pregnancy turned into an unimaginable nightmare after her first scan.The Inishowen woman and her husband were heartbroken when doctors told them that their baby was not going to live. Nicola was forced to endure the torment of this knowledge and carry the baby for another 39 days, when doctors could not touch her or her child until he died. This, she said, was because the Eighth Amendment would not allow her to get an induction, and she felt an overwhelming sense of abandonment. Nicola has recounted her experience of the Eighth over the years for the TFMR Ireland organisation. As the referendum draws closer, she shared her story with our sister website Donegal Woman:It was the 1st of November 2009 when I heard the news that my much wanted second child had fatal foetal abnormalities and would not survive. I was 19 weeks pregnant and this was my first scan. I had been waking up crying for about a month before I was told the news by anyone medical. I just had a feeling that something was wrong. I was told that basically my baby was going to die. It might live and go full term and die after birth, or it could die tomorrow! The only certainty was that my baby was going to die.I was calm when I received the news. I was calm and strong while myself and my two year old son waited for my husband to arrive at the hospital. He had to work that day so I had gone alone to the scan along with my little son. I was calm when my husband arrived and the sonographer came into the room to talk to us. She told us our baby was very very sick. I simply said “Ok so, what next? If my wee baby is so sick, when will I be induced?”That was the Tuesday and I was told that they would bring me in on the Thursday for induction. I went home and cried. I grieved. I hugged my son Jack and my husband and we all grieved together. I organised for my mum and dad to come up on the Thursday to mind Jack while I went into hospital. I felt so much sadness but I also felt calm and ready as my little family had had the couple of days to prepare. When we arrived at the hospital the staff were fantastic and so considerate of myself and my husband’s feelings. It was all very calm and respectful. My baby boy Sam was born at 2am on Friday the 10th of December 2009. He was beautiful and very like his big brother. We got to hold our son.It was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do but I got home the next day and had loads of support from family, friends and the medical team from the hospital. It would take time but we could start to move forward again.Unfortunately, I would love if the above was true. However, I live in Ireland so let me tell you what really happened.“Ok so, what next? If my wee baby is so sick, when will I be induced?” The sonographer’s response was, “I’m very sorry Nicola, we can’t do that, not in Ireland.” “What? Then what will happen? When will my baby be born? I can’t wait another 20 weeks knowing my baby is so sick. Oh my God, oh my God. You have to induce me. Why can’t you?”To which I got the response, “That is classed as an abortion in Ireland, we can’t perform an induction while your baby is alive, it can only be done after your baby has died.” It was at this stage I stopped being calm. I lost control. I couldn’t comprehend this. After the doctors had confirmed my babies diagnosis, they left the room. One of the female doctors gave me the name of a crisis pregnancy counsellor in town before she left. It was then left up to the sonographer to deal with me. I have to say she was amazing. She explained to me that some of her other parents in the same situation had travelled to the UK to avail of a termination. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.I couldn’t fault her. She was so kind. She told me I could call up to her at any time for a scan to check on my baby.‘Most women are getting scanned to make sure their babies are alive and thriving, yet I would be getting scanned to check if my baby had died’The next morning I travelled to Holles Street from Donegal. The consultant there just confirmed what I already knew. We asked what we should do. He told us that we would have to continue with the pregnancy unless we travelled overseas for a termination. He said that if I lived in the UK or Europe I would be offered a termination.On the Thursday, I visited the crisis counsellor. She was very good and helped me ring around the UK hospitals to find out a bit more about travelling for the procedure. What we found out was that because I was 19 weeks pregnant the procedure would probably be around £1600. Factor into that the travel and accommodation costs and we were taking well over £2000. Also, if I didn’t have the procedure before I was 21 weeks pregnant the cost would rise considerably again. I felt under such pressure to make a quick decision as I could barely afford the fee as it was. Let me now add that both myself and my husband were looking for work after moving home to Donegal. The recession was just beginning. My husband was getting a few days with a friend but had nothing steady. We had spent our little bit of savings on our house. We could not afford this type of money.This was the beginning of what was to be the most stressful few days of my life. Close friends were offering us money as a gift. Anyone who knew what we were going through wanted to help. I really wanted to travel so that we could start to get on with our lives again. However, the thought of leaving my two year old son behind nearly broke me. Also, the whole ordeal of travelling overseas and also putting my little family into debt nearly drove me insane. Couple that with feeling my little baby’s movements every few hours and you can only start to imagine how I felt.And so began an agonising journey. I was functioning just for the sake of my husband and Jack. It was like a dream. I could feel Sam’s little movements. They were more like a flutter than a kick. He was obviously very weak.I’d never had sleep problems before but now I used to wake up to the feeling of his slight movements and I would lie awake wondering was he suffering as much as his mum.Once I let the sonographer know my decision, I agreed that I would visit her for a scan every Monday morning to see how Sam was getting on. My son Jack came with us to the scans.I remember one day arriving and the sonographer told me sympathetically that she could hardly see Sam today. She said he was all curled up and seemed very unwell today.Can you imagine how that feels? To think of your wee sick baby all curled up inside you? Wondering was he in pain? There were times after I heard this that I literally couldn’t stand up with grief. I couldn’t get that picture out of my head. I never will. I feel like curling up as I write this.I stopped going out very much as I didn’t want people to ask me how far gone I was and when I was due. Two of my best friends were pregnant with their first babies and were due within weeks of me. I still tried to be upbeat and happy for them. I knew when I spoke to them that their hearts were breaking for me. I felt like I was tainting their first pregnancy with my awful situation.On one of the few occasions that I went anywhere, my friends brought me for a spa treatment. The therapist asked me all upbeat about my pregnancy. I simply said “my baby is dying, please don’t ask me about it”. I’ll always remember the poor girl’s face.I remember Sam dying inside of me! It was 5am on Saturday the 5th of December. I could hardly feel his movements that day. I would whisper to him, “Go baby, mammy allows you to go.”I woke at 5am. I had broken out in a cold sweat. I felt sharp pains in my stomach. I knew he was gone. I waited for my next scan which was 3 days later. I spent the weekend coming to terms with the fact he was gone and at peace. I was 24 weeks pregnant. Before the sonographer turned on the ultrasound I told her he was gone. She confirmed it straight away.Now let me tell you, I had not seen a doctor since they broke the news to me that Sam was dying. Once they had broken the news to me they had walked out of the room. Now the sonographer had to get a doctor to confirm that there was indeed no heartbeat. The doctor came and confirmed it. He then said, “We can take you in this evening to deliver your baby”. What? Just like that?What about the 5 weeks I was after going through? If it hadn’t of been for the sonographer I would have had no contact with the hospital at all. I told the doctor, no, I would not be in that evening. I had a two year old and I had to make arrangements for his care.I came into hospital on Thursday 9th December and Sam was indeed born at 2.40am on the 10th. He was beautiful. Myself and my husband held him. I felt very peaceful.I got out the next day. We had a wee service for Sam the following Thursday. I wasn’t feeling well and ended up back in hospital that evening. In fact, I ended up spending two weeks in hospital after his birth. I had to have two D&Cs and two blood transfusions, due to an infection from part of the placenta being left behind.I got out for Christmas Day but ended up back in on St Stephen’s Day. For the final week I was there I was in a ward in the gynecological department. Every night several new women would be admitted to the ward with miscarriages, and I would have to lie there listening to them crying on their phones to family members or their mums. It was horrific.I didn’t get a chance to grieve for my Sam. When I had to have my final blood transfusion two of the nurses had to hold me down to insert the needle, as I was so distraught. I got out on New Year’s Eve. My husband had to take me to our local NowDoc who prescribed valium. I was convinced I’d have to go back into hospital and was having panic attacks. My poor son didn’t know what was happening to his mum.And so I started on the road to recovery. What could have been such a short ordeal turned into a 4 month ordeal. We had to wait until March 2010 to receive the results of genetic testing that was carried out on Sam. We were told to hold off trying for another baby until we received these results as we needed to make sure Sam’s condition wasn’t passed on through us.Throughout my whole ordeal I had felt an overwhelming sense of abandonment. We were very much alone. Our friends and family were brilliant but I felt like we had been let down by our medical system and by the government.I am at peace now with my son’s illness and his death. However, I am not at peace with the fact that in our time of need this country turned its back on us. You can only imagine how I felt when it started coming to light that so many other 3 of 4 women had went through what I did. When I started hearing about the women who had travelled abroad and the ordeal they had to also go through, the anger and feeling of abandonment grew.I was only starting to recover from depression at the time and constant stories on the TV and radio made it impossible for me to move forward. Making the decision to travel, or making the decision to stay because you feel you have no choice, it doesn’t matter. Either way you are alone and the country you call home abandons you during what can only be described as the hardest and most heartbreaking time of your life.Speaking this week, Nicola said she is at peace with her baby boy’s illness. She has had two children following that pregnancy in 2009, a little boy and a girl.Her experience still affects her terribly, she says: “It’s been fresh in my mind recently because of the fight that ladies are going through to get the Eighth amendment changed.”“I’ve been to counselling, I can visit my child’s grave. What haunts me is the way that I was treated and the way that women are still being treated.“Making the decision to travel or stay was nearly worse than the diagnosis. Some would have made the decision I made and some would have travelled. I stayed behind, but I don’t believe I received the care that should have received. Whether you stay in Ireland or travel to the UK, you are swept under the carpet.”“This was 10 years ago, I don’t know if maybe things have changed, but between Holles Street and the last scan confirming his death I never saw a doctor.”Nicola’s account has been used in an Oireachtas submission by the Abortion Rights Campaign to the Special Committee on the 8th Amendment. In the campaign, she has met other Irish women who are facing the same agonising decisions.Nicola will be calling for a Repeal of the Eighth amendment on May 25th, so the law can allow women to have the option of ending their pregnancy early in Ireland after the diagnosis of a fatal foetal condition.Nicola added: “This is going on every day. There other women going through what I’ve been through. It is women coming out with their stories that can change things.”If you have been affected by this story, support is available with Leanbh Mo Chroi – a parent group for women and men who have experienced a fatal or severe diagnosis during pregnancy. Visit for details.Donegal Daily and Donegal Woman welcomes accounts and letters from both stances ahead of the referendum to repeal the Eighth Amendment. To get in contact, email either or news@donegalwoman.ieThe Eighth Amendment debate – One Donegal woman’s heartbreaking story was last modified: April 18th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:abortiondonegalEighth Amendmentvotelast_img read more

Photo library: People 9

first_imgBy accessing this photo library, you agree to the Media Club South Africa photo library terms and conditions of use.Click on a thumbnail for a low-resolution image, or right-click on the link below it to download a high-resolution copy of the image.PEOPLE: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Store controllerMareka Mthokho checksunderground equipment atHarmony Gold Mine. Photo: Graeme Williams, » Download high-res image Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Fitter aide ZolileManianiana fixes brokendrills at Harmony Gold Mine. Photo: Graeme Williams, » Download high-res image Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Cage assistants(from left) MoeketsiMomlekoa, Ndlaka Mtanoand Bless Hamilton at theshaft at Harmony Gold Mine. Photo: Graeme Williams, » Download high-res image Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Cage assistants(from left) MoeketsiMomlekoa, Ndlaka Mtanoand Bless Hamilton at theshaft at Harmony Gold Mine. Photo: Graeme Williams, » Download high-res image Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Cage assistants(from left) MoeketsiMomlekoa, Ndlaka Mtanoand Bless Hamilton at theshaft at Harmony Gold Mine. Photo: Graeme Williams, » Download high-res image Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Cage assistants(from left) MoeketsiMomlekoa and Ndlaka Mtanoat the shaft at HarmonyGold Mine. Photo: Graeme Williams, » Download high-res image Welkom, Free Stateprovince: Lamp repairerVuyelwa Ramphoma works ona damaged underground headlamp at Harmony Gold Mine.Photo: Graeme Williams,» Download high-res image Hoedspruit, Limpopoprovince: Students attendingthe certificate in naturalresource managementcourse at the SouthernAfrican Wildlife College.The 10-month course isaimed at junior resourcemanagers at game reserves. Photo: Chris Kirchhoff, » Download high-res image Hoedspruit, Limpopoprovince: Students attendingthe certificate in naturalresource managment courseat the Southern AfricanWildlife College. The 10-month course is aimedat junior resource managersat game reserves. Photo: Chris Kirchhoff, » Download high-res image PEOPLE: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15Having trouble downloading high-resolution images? Queries about the image library?Email Janine Erasmus at read more

Natural fibre takes off

first_imgThe Airbus A380 touches down at OR Tambo International Airport in November 2006. The A380 is the world’s biggest passenger aircraft. (Image: Airbus) The aeronautical use of crops such as kenaf, a member of the hibiscus family, will be explored by Airbus and the CSIR.Janine ErasmusThe South African Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and international aircraft manufacturer Airbus have entered into a partnership to develop new natural fibre-based composite materials for use in aircraft interiors.The project started in October 2007 and will extend over three years, taking place in two phases of 18 months each. The initiative is under the guidance of a consortium comprising Airbus, the Pretoria-based CSIR, the science faculty at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in the Eastern Cape, and the Centre for Research in Computational and Applied Mechanics at Cape Town University.Airbus is also consulting with the CSIR on research in the field of computational fluid dynamics, it was announced earlier in 2008. The CSIR is now an accepted member of Airbus’s global research and technology network, and aeronautical engineers from the CSIR are to help develop specialised mathematical software to aid in the design of cleaner, smarter, next-generation aircraft.South Africa is poised to become a major global player in this specialised and highly competitive field. “Computational mechanics is an extremely exciting field where the sky is no longer the limit, but the next frontier,” said CSIR principal computational aerodynamics researcher Dr Arnaud Malan. “To us, this contract says that the CSIR and South Africa are viewed as holding expertise and technology on par with the best and brightest in the world.”International partnershipSouth Africa’s national Department of Science and Technology has a memorandum of understanding with Airbus in research and technology and has a number of projects under way with the France-based aircraft manufacturer, including the project on computational fluid dynamics.The department awarded the composite materials project to the CSIR, which already has expertise in the use of natural fibres in the automotive sector, under its Advanced Manufacturing Technology Strategy programme.The project will focus on the aeronautical use of natural fibres in composite materials, which are engineered materials made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties. The constituent materials do not blend or dissolve into each other and are therefore easily identifiable within the composite.The use of natural fibre in composite materials instead of glass fibre offers a number of advantages, among them a weight-saving benefit, lower raw material price because of its natural origin, and no adverse effect on the environment. The most commonly used natural fibres in composite materials are flax, hemp, jute, kenaf and sisal.Hemp, jute, flax and sisal fibres are already used in the automotive industry, which is under pressure to develop environmentally friendly cars, as a substitute for glass fibre in interior plastic components. These may be polypropylene, polyester or polyamide, with the incorporation of natural fibres. None of these components is load-bearing – as would be the case for components manufactured for aircraft, such as ceiling and sidewall panels.CSIR chief researcher on the project, Dr Rajesh Anandjiwala, says natural fibre composites may provide answers to some key challenges faced by the automotive and aerospace industries. Anandjiwala and three senior colleagues are currently conducting research into natural fibres at the CSIR’s Materials Science and Manufacturing Centre in Port Elizabeth. This facility, says the organisation, is one of the top four in the world.Opportunities for farmersIncreased demand for natural materials such as sisal and kenaf, a member of the hibiscus family, is good news for South African farmers, especially in the Eastern Cape where such crops are produced extensively.“These crops are attractive to us because they are low-density, biodegradable, recyclable, carbon-dioxide neutral, non-abrasive, low-cost and widely available, although they also have some properties that restrict their application in aircraft,” said Airbus’s senior vice-president for research and technology Axel Krein.“One of our primary objectives is to support the continual drive to address the parallel challenges of reducing aircraft weight, improving fuel efficiency and minimising our products’ impact on climate change,” added Krein. “This includes our aim of developing a fully recyclable aircraft cabin interior. In our quest, we are searching for suitable cabin materials which will help us meet these challenges head-on.”Anandjiwala said the CSIR hopes that its scientific research will ultimately lead to the increased industrial use of natural fibres, which will provide vital socio-economic benefits for the Eastern Cape’s large subsistence farming community as well as for commercial agriculture.Do you have queries or comments about this article? Email Janine Erasmus at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ..Useful linksCouncil for Scientific and Industrial ResearchAirbusAdvanced Manufacturing Technology StrategyNelson Mandela Metropolitan UniversityCentre for Research in Computational and Applied Mechanics at Cape Town Universitylast_img read more

Catch the Play Your Part Roadshow in Free State

first_imgGuests coming to join us at the Mangaung Indoor Sports Centre on the day are urged keep an eye out for our bright yellow play Your Part Cube.Play Your Part, along with Leadership 2020 Seminars and One Day Leader, invites you all to join us in Bloemfontein on 26 October to learn how some South Africans are stretching the limits to help develop our country for the better.Other partners include the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA), the Youth Chamber, the Small Enterprise Development Agency (SEDA) and a number of entrepreneurs based in the Free State.The Play Your Part Roadshow has already visited the Limpopo and Eastern Cape provinces, and the Free State is the next destination on Play Your Part’s journey through the country.Bloemfontein is the hub of the Free State and is South Africa’s legislative capital.If you’re in Bloemfontein on Wednesday 26 October then come down to the Mangaung Indoor Sports Centre and hear some of the inspirational stories that our guest speakers will be sharing.The seminar is designed to empower, motivate and influence change in the lives of young South Africans. They will also be given the relevant tools, tips and strategies needed to become successful and prosper.MORE ABOUT OUR HOSTSThe seminar will be hosted by DJ and entrepreneur Sbu Leope alongside One Day Leader finalist Seadimo Tlale. The two hosts will be joined by a number of guest speakers and Play Your Part ambassadors.Twenty-two-year-old Seadimo is completing the final year of her law degree at the University of the Witwatersrand and is a member of the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation Fellowship.Currently, Seadimo balances her academic life with her responsibilities as a host on SABC 1’s Rise Talk Show.The talk show is a Soul City initiative that looks to change the behaviour of young women aged between 15 and 24 years old – who are most vulnerable to new HIV infections –  through engaging dialogue.The busy varsity student also earned herself the first runner-up position in the second season of SABC 1’s One Day Leader television show, and is the current holder of the Free State Youth Activist award.        The seminar will be hosted by DJ and entrepreneur Sbu Leope alongside One Day Leader finalist Seadimo Tlale. The two hosts will be joined by a number of guest speakers and Play Your Part ambassadors.THE GUEST SPEAKERSGuest speakers include Thato Mokhothu and Motlapele Morule who is also known as Mo’ Molemi.Mokhothu has made significant strides as an entrepreneur, being the owner of both RTT Construction and RTT Canteen, the latter an eatery at a well-known bus-line in Bloemfontein.Mokhothu is also a shareholder in Tyremart and the founder of a women’s association called I Am a Phenomenal Woman.Morule, or Mo’ Molemi, is a prominent South African hip-hop artist and farmer who is bringing his love for agriculture together with his profile as a musician.Both speakers will be sharing their stories in hopes of igniting the vast potential that South African youth possess.GET INVOLVEDYoung people are invited to come and Play Their Part and engage with #PYPCUBE. The roadshow is bound to inspire young adults to do more after hearing the success stories of others who play their part in society.Guests coming to join us on the day should keep an eye out for out bright yellow PYP Cube to take part in the #PYPCUBE experience.The cube has everything you need to take your picture, make your pledge to be an active citizen and upload your picture with your pledge on Facebook and Twitter for all to see.Join us, make your pledge and help drive South Africa to greater heights.last_img read more

Three killed as Maoists blow up oil tanker with IED in Bastar

first_imgThree people were killed as Maoists blew up an oil truck at a construction site using an improvised explosive device (IED) in Kanker district of the Bastar region on Tuesday, said the police.“At 10 a.m., Maoists struck at an oil tanker at a site where railway tracks are being laid, 2 km away from Tumapal village under the Tadoki police station limits. Three civilians were killed in the attack,” said P. Sundarraj, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Anti-Naxal Operations).Those killed in the attack, a day after the byelection to the Dantewada Assembly seat in the Bastar region, were identified as Rakesh Kodopi, Duneshwar Singh and Ajay Kumar, he added.last_img read more

Metta World Peace wants to see ‘proud Filipino’ son Jeron play for Gilas

first_imgJeron Artest plays for FilAm Sports. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Metta World Peace himself has said it—his son Jeron Artest wants to suit up for Gilas Pilipinas.The former Los Angeles Laker is in the Philippines to watch his son compete in the 2019 NBTC Nationals with FilAm Sports.ADVERTISEMENT Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants MOST READ Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Metta World Peace at a press conference during the NBTC National Finals at Mall of Asia Arena. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOArtest, now 18, applied for a Philippine passport in 2017 when he was 16 and he’s already eligible to represent the country in Fiba-sanctioned tournaments or even the Olympics.World Peace, though, has one lesson for his son.“He has to earn it, I tell him that all the time,” said World Peace who revealed that his son was getting scholarship offers not just because of basketball but because of Artest’s scholastic traits.“He started coding when he was 13, invested in Tesla when he was 12 or 13 while also investing in AMD, which is a semiconductor company, and when he was like 13 or 14 he coded a game called Jeronimo but he stopped coding because he had to play basketball,” said World Peace who exuded the aura of a proud father.World Peace added that Artest had the skills to become a professional golfer while also becoming a promising DJ, but basketball and schoolwork were his son’s passions.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon eventcenter_img SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Google Philippines names new country director For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no other Chot Reyes underscores importance of tune-up games for Gilas’ World Cup bid Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss The former Defensive Player of the Year of the NBA added that Artest has yet to decide if he’s going to pursue in Stanford or UC-Berkeley while also thinking about pursuing Finance or Design in other universities.“The key thing I want Filipino kids to take away is that if you put your mind to something you could do absolutely anything you want,” said World Peace. “Jeron is not only wanting to build his basketball brand out here in the Philippines, he also wants to inspire kids by education.” View comments Artest has received multiple scholarship offers from different schools like St. John’s, Stanford, University of California at Berkeley, Princeton, and even Ivy League university Yale but the prospect of suiting up for the Philippine national basketball team is always a goal for the doggy guard.“He really wants to play for the Philippines and he’d love to play in the Olympics one day,” said World Peace Thursday at Mall of Asia Arena.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsWorld Peace added that Artest’s desire to wear the tricolor stems from his love of his mother Jennifer and grandmother Winny.“My son is so proud to be Filipino, he loves his Lola Winnie and he’s just extremely proud and I’m proud of him for not forgetting where he came from,” said World Peace. “That’s my son, I love him to death and he’s so proud.”last_img read more

2016 NTL Day Two Wrap

first_imgBy Eden Richards Teams will be putting it all on the line as they head into day three chasing a finals berth. Several competitions are evenly poised heading into the final day of fixtures.Injuries featured heavily on day two as many teams struggled with the extreme Coffs Harbour heat taking its toll. The Brisbane City Cobras sit undefeated at the top of the Mixed Open competition with the South Queensland Sharks and Sydney Rebels sitting 2nd and 3rd respectively. The Sydney Mets round out the top four. The Sydney Mets are the stand out team in the Men’s T League Pool A as they continue a strong undefeated run. Pool B is a Queensland affair with the Central Queensland Bulls (A) sitting undefeated on top and the South Queensland Sharks (A) just one win behind. It’s a two horse race in the Women’s T League Pool A as both the Hunter Western Hornets and Victoria sit on five wins from five starts.The two leaders will play tomorrow morning to decide who finishes first. Pool B is being dominated by Queensland with the top five teams all coming from the region. The Sunshine Coast Pineapples sit undefeated in 1st.The Sharks and the Rebels cannot be separated after day two of the Women’s 27’s with both sitting 10 points clear at the top of the standings. The Scorpions are the team to beat in the Men’s 30’s as they round out the 2nd day of competition undefeated. In a huge gap in the class the Hornets have failed to win a game and will look to disrupt the finals chances of their competitors tomorrow. The Pineapples and the Hornets are battling it out for 2nd and 3rd in the Women’s 35’s as the Cobras sit top. A clear top four has emerged in the Men’s 40’s with the Hornets, Mets and Cobras all undefeated. The Defence Warriors are chasing hard in 4th. The South West Queensland Swans remain undefeated in the Women’s 40’s with the North Queensland Tropical Cyclones and the Hornets sitting one game behind. The Scorpions and the Sharks have all but secured the top two spots in the Men’s 45’s and the Men’s 50’s. The Cyclones and the Southern Suns are dominating in Pool A of the Men’s 55’s and the Mets today extended their unbeaten run to four games in Pool B. The Senior Mixed is a battle between three with the Sharks A, Suns and Scorpions all sitting together at the top of the table on 16 points. Related LinksNTL Day Two Wraplast_img read more

10 months agoLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: We’re ignoring Man City

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: We’re ignoring Man Cityby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is happy to be top of the table again after victory over Manchester United.Klopp insists he wasn’t bothered by Manchester City returning to the summit before Liverpool kicked off.He said, “We ignored it completely. I cannot say we passed [the test of winning after City won] because we didn’t think about it. I didn’t mention it one time. We are not silly, we know the table. Are you focused on it or not? I said it before, we played tonight Man United – and not against United and City. “That’s the only way I know and we really didn’t speak about it. I think that already helps. It’s not that they win and then we come together, train and say: ‘Did you see what City did?’ We are focused on our game and we will see where it leads us to. “If there is a moment in the end of the season when we’re still around them and we have to think about [them] and start hoping they drop points, maybe – I don’t know today. In the moment we respect them a lot, they respect us, and we have to win football games against all the others. Then we meet on January 3 again and then we think about City a lot.” last_img read more

6 days agoLiverpool boss Klopp: All the way from Norway to ask me that?

first_imgLiverpool boss Klopp: All the way from Norway to ask me that?by Paul Vegas6 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer doesn’t need his advice.Klopp was asked by a reporter from Dagbladet if he had words for Solskjaer as United continue to struggle.The German replied: “Hahahaha! Do you really think you can fly over from Norway and ask about it? Wow.”He doesn’t need it. Come on. He has been in the club for a total of 10-15 years. He knows everything about it. He has experience as a manager in football. He knows what he needs to do. It just has to work. That’s it for all of us. “That’s why so many managers get fired at some point, because some internally loses patience. Then you have to go.”From my point of view it looks like he sits there safely. They all knew it was going to be a difficult job.”I don’t think you have to worry about Ole. He is in a good position.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

PM Holness arrives in Namibia for Historic State Visit

first_img The Prime Minister, who arrived at the Namibian Hosea Kutako Airport, was welcomed with traditional festivities at the Airport by Namibian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of International Relations and Corporation, The Hon Netumbo Nandi-Ndtaitwah, Pohamba Shifeta, Minister of Environment and Tourism and the Hon Christine //Hoebes, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation and other dignitaries. Prime Minister Andrew Holness has arrived in Namibia for what is the first official State visit by a Jamaican Head of Government to that country. Story Highlightscenter_img Prime Minister Andrew Holness has arrived in Namibia for what is the first official State visit by a Jamaican Head of Government to that country.The Prime Minister, who arrived at the Namibian Hosea Kutako Airport, was welcomed with traditional festivities at the Airport by Namibian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of International Relations and Corporation, The Hon Netumbo Nandi-Ndtaitwah, Pohamba Shifeta, Minister of Environment and Tourism and the Hon Christine //Hoebes, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation and other dignitaries.Prime Minister Holness is accompanied on his visit by Minister of Culture Hon Olivia Grange, High Commissioner for Jamaica to South Africa, H.E. Ms Angella Comfort, Ms Shorna-Kay Richards, Director of Bilateral Relations at the Ministry Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Honourary Counsel for Jamaica in Namibia Professor Earl Taylor, and son of Marcus Garvey, Dr. Julius Garvey.The Prime Minister engaged in a brief courtesy call with Deputy Prime Minister, The Hon Netumbo Nandi-Ndtaitwah. He was then transported in convoy to the Namibian State House where he had a short meeting with the President of the Republic of Namibia, H.E. Dr Hage G Geingob.Both leaders expressed sincere appreciation for the strong ties between Jamaica and Namibia and spoke of the history of cooperation between the two countries in relation to Namibia’s independence struggle.Prime Minister Holness will tomorrow commence the main program of his State visit, where he will hold official talks with the Namibian President, during which an MOU on cooperation in the field of Sports and one for political consultations will be signed.Also tomorrow, Prime Minister Holness will meet with members of the Namibian Private sector at a luncheon to be hosted by the Namibian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.Prime Minister Holness will then join the President of Namibia for the renaming of a street in the Capital City of Windhoek, in Honour of Jamaica’s First National Hero Marcus Mosiah Garvey.last_img read more