Arcata >> Humboldt State University cross-country and track and field coach Scott Pesch announced his retirement on Monday.Pesch has been the program’s head coach since 2010 and will retire effective July 15. He will serve as a volunteer coach with the cross-country program through the fall season. “I feel honored to have been a part of the rich history of Humboldt State cross-country and track & field. My wife and I truly appreciate the opportunity that the university has provided us, and I …
OAKLAND — No criminal charges will be filed against Toronto Raptor’s president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri, who was accused of pushing and striking an Alameda County sheriff’s deputy after Game 6 of the NBA Finals in June, an Alameda District Attorney spokeswoman said Tuesday.“The District Attorney’s Office has determined that no criminal charges will be filed in the matter,” said spokeswoman Teresa Drenick. “However, Mr. Ujiri attended a meeting with the District Attorney’s Office …
14 October 2008Officials from world football authority Fifa and the 2010 local organising committee (LOC) have concluded a 10-day inspection tour of South Africa’s 10 World Cup stadiums, praising the general construction status.Experts from Fifa and the LOC represented various areas, ranging from stadium technical teams to security, competitions, hospitality, ticketing, media, marketing, TV and IT.“Overall we are happy with what we have seen in the facilities,” Fifa South Africa office head Ron DelMont said in a statement by the LOC last week. “Very encouraging progress has been made in particular at the six new stadiums since the last visits. They will be amazing football jewels in 2010.“The great engagement from the cities proves that we are on the right track.”Also part of the inspection party was LOC acting chief compliance officer Derek Blanckensee, who said it was heartening not only to see the tremendous construction progress, but also the level of planning in and around the stadiums.“We examined in great detail the functional use of all the spaces and access routes of all the constituent groups involved in a Fifa World Cup, and there was a great correlation between what Fifa expected and what the cities’ various technical experts have provided,” he said.ChallengesSome challenges were identified, however, particularly concerning the refurbishments in Pretoria and Bloemfontein, both venues for next year’s Fifa Confederations Cup, which kicks off in less than nine months.The issues lay mainly in the interpretation of the Fifa infrastructural requirements, which have been addressed in the operational meetings with the cities. There is still much work to do, but the delegation is optimistic that the necessary solutions will be found and implemented in time to put on a world-class event next year.The two other Fifa Confederations Cup venues, Ellis Park in Johannesburg and Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace in Rustenburg, were well on track to meet Fifa requirements and deadlines.‘African calabash’During the inspection the group also witnessed a milestone at Soccer City, to the south of Johannesburg, as the first panels of the iconic African calabash – which will wrap around the stadium – were placed on the outside of the venue hosting the world cup opening match and final.Fifa consultant Horst Schmidt, a former organiser of the 1974 and 2006 World Cups and part of the inspection party in Polokwane and Johannesburg, heaped lavish praise on Soccer City.“I think that Soccer City is one of the most exciting sites I’ve ever seen in my sporting life,” he said. “Vigilant attention to every detail is now required in all host cities, and all stakeholders now clearly need to understand their roles to deliver memorable finished products across all venues.”Stadium progressAll the new stadia under construction made a great impression on the inspection tour group, with Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium well on course to becoming the first new World Cup stadium to be completed.Over 90% of the stadium’s construction work is already complete, with over 20 000 seats installed. The Durban Stadium is another which captured the imagination, with its far advanced construction work and breathtaking arch, already a feature of the Durban’s skyline.Cape Town’s Greenpoint Stadium has made even more significant progress only three weeks since Fifa President Sepp Blatter paid tribute to its progress, with Polokwane’s Peter Mokaba Stadium and Nelspruit’s Mbombela Stadium also well placed to meet its Fifa deadlines.Around the time of the upcoming Confederations Cup draw on 22 November 2008, various other international constituents will be visiting the four venues for the tournament, dubbed “The Festival of Champions”. Among them will be the world’s major news agencies, as well as the commercial affiliates who want to get a first look at the venues.SAinfo reporter Would you like to use this article in your publicationor on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
A tit-for-tat imposition of trade tariffs has pitted China against the U.S. and Europe and could slow the growth of photovoltaic installations worldwide, according to a report in The Washington Post.China was setting tariffs as high as 57% on U.S.-produced polysilicon, a key ingredient used in the manufacture of PV panels. The U.S. and the European have imposed tariffs of their own on Chinese-made panels, and the combination will not only hurt U.S. polysilicon manufacturers but boost prices worldwide, The Post said.REC Silicon has a manufacturing plant in Moses Lake, Washington, that employs more than 500 workers. The plant exports 80% of the polysilicon it produces to China, but some customers there are already canceling orders.In 2012, the U.S. produced 24% of the global supply of polysilicon. Prices have been falling for more than a decadeThe trade dispute may eventually mean higher prices, but the long-term trend has been in the other direction.NPD Solarbuzz, a solar market research company, reports solar module prices have dropped steadily over the past decade in both the U.S. and Europe.By March of this year, Solarbuzz reported prices for 329 modules had fallen below $2 per watt. The lowest price for a multi-crystalline module was $1.06 per watt (the module cost is about 35% to 40% of the total installed cost of a PV system).
WILMINGTON, MA – The Wilmington High School Athletic Hall of Fame will hold its 2018 Induction Ceremony on Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6pm at the Hillview Country Club in North Reading (149 North Street).The following Wilmington High School athletes will be inducted:Brianne Bozzella (2007)Nick Farnsworth (2008)Derek Hanley (2003)Jack Irwin (1969)Jackie Mello (2006)Raymond Mercuri (1987)Vinnie Papageorgiou (2008)Ernie Mello (2008)Greg Stewart (2007)Ashley Vitale (2007)Inductees are recognized for significant contributions in the field of athletics while a student at Wilmington High School. Inductees must have graduated from Wilmington High School at least 10 years ago.In addition, Tom Walsh will be inducted as a benefactor, and the 1961 Football Team and 1998 Baseball Team will receive special team awards.Tickets to the Hall of Fame induction dinner cost $50 per person and must be purchased in advance. Contact Jack Cushing at 978-658-2170 or 978-604-2443 for tickets.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWHS Athletic Hall Of Fame Class of 2016 Announced, Ceremony Set For Nov. 5In “Sports”VIDEO: WHS Athletic Hall Of Fame Class of 2018 InductedIn “Videos”PHOTO OF THE DAY: 2016 WHS Athletic Hall of Fame Class InductedIn “Photo of the Day”
Ridhima PanditinstagramKhatron Ke Khiladi 9 recently ended with Punit Pathak emerging as the winner of the season. He defeated Aditya Narayan (first runner-up) and Ridhima Pandit (second runner-up). While Punit was certainly a deserving contestant to win the trophy, Aditya and Ridhima missed the golden opportunity to take home the coveted trophy by a small margin.In an interview with SpotboyE, Ridhima opened up on how it feels to reach the finale yet not bag the trophy. The actress started off by saying that she is proud and lucky to have reached the finale. However, being claustrophobic, she admitted having aborted a couple of stunts. She further praised the boys – Punit and Aditya, as they have always completed their tasks. “I have certain weaknesses like, for one, I’m claustrophobic. I couldn’t completely rid myself of that fear and due to it, I even aborted a couple of stunts,” she said.Speaking about the finale task, Ridhima said that she could have won it but lost out on time when she couldn’t open the carabiner. “I know for a fact that maybe I could have won it in the last stunt because it didn’t need physical strength as such. I had to jump from the car to the truck and open the lock. I was very calm. When I tried opening the carabiner, it didn’t open that’s where I lost out on time and I was almost in tears,” she added.However, Ridhima believes that Punit and Aditya were definitely better than her. “No excuses, I think they were definitely better than me. In fact, so many times I got Punit and Aditya in partner tasks, and they have been of great help. Definitely, they are stronger than me. The finale stunt was very nice. I could have won it actually,” she concluded.
The Bharatiya Janata Party fielded Tejasvi Surya from Bengaluru South constituency.Days after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Karnataka fielded Tejasvi Surya from Bengaluru South constituency, the BJP candidate finds himself at the centre of a controversy after the Karnataka Congress attacked him, citing gruesome details of allegations of “abuse” by a woman against him and questioned the saffron party about his selection.Taking to Twitter, Karnataka Congress posted, “Is @Tejasvi_Surya another M J Akbar in the making? Dear @BJP4India, @Tejasvi_Surya seems to be a great choice. #BangaloreSouth will remember. #MeToo #LokSabhaPolls2019.” The tweet was accompanied by screenshots of comments allegedly made by the woman on Twitter. TwitterThe concerned woman seems to have deleted the comments which she had made against Surya on the social media platform. The woman, in her tweets, claimed to have “suffered” at the hands of Surya and has questioned why the BJP had not done a background check before issuing the ticket to him. The Congress shared the screenshots of the tweet. The woman alleged that she was not his first victim or would be the last and also claimed to be ready to share the proof.Congress have mentioned the name of MJ Akbar in its tweet. Following a spate of allegations of sexual harassment against MJ Akbar, the minister had to step down as Minister of State for External Affairs in 2018.Who is Tejasvi Surya?In a surprise move, the BJP fielded the saffron party’s youth wing leader Surya from its bastion of Bangalore South from where the widow of union minister Ananth Kumar, a six-time MP from the constituency, was denied the ticket.28-year-old Surya, a lawyer by profession, has filed his nomination on Tuesday (March 26). He is the nephew of BJP MLA Ravi Subramanya, who represents Basavanagudi. The party’s young candidate is set to face the Congress veteran, BK Hariprasad, who is contesting from the seat after two decades in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019.After Surya was nominated from Bengaluru South, he expressed his excitement as a BJP candidate in Twitter saying, “I have been blessed with an opportunity to contest as @BJP4India candidate from Bangalore South. I promise to be a committed ambassador of PM Narendra Modi. Join me today as I file my nomination and embark on this new journey.
It has been a set template for Indian captain Virat Kohli. He walks out to bat, assesses the situation, takes his time to get going and then hits his stride. What follows is a flawless innings and also a century. The scenario was much the same in the third ODI in Trinidad.India were chasing a stiff total and the openers were dismissed rather cheaply. However, it did not bother the skipper as he held fort and after Shai Hope dropped him early on in his innings, he did not make any other mistake. A 43rd ODI century followed and along the way, a plethora of milestones were passed.Kohli on the march Twitter/BCCIIn what can be termed as mind-boggling, Kohli became the first batsman to score 20,000 international runs in a single decade. Kohli now has 20,502 runs across all three formats of the game. Out of these 20,502, Kohli has scored 20,018 in the ongoing decade.Also, with this innings, the Indian captain now has 97 scores in excess of 50 which is the fifth most by any batsman in the history of the game.In this year, Kohli has 11 scores of more than 50 and holds the feat with Indian vice-captain Rohit Sharma. The skipper has enjoyed himself against the West Indies and now has 9 centuries against them in ODIs. This is the joint-most by an Indian batsman against any opposition in ODIs and holds the record with Sachin Tendulkar, who too has scored 9 centuries against Australia.The skipper was the difference between the two sides and for his century he was awarded the man of the match as well as the man of the series awards. Virat KohliIANSIt was a series which presented India with an opportunity to find few solutions to problems and they have certainly found good promise in Shreyas Iyer. However, Rishabh Pant’s temperament and the form of Shikhar Dhawan is a bit of a concern for the management, but as the captain said, the focus will now shift to Test cricket.”We want to have people take responsibility at different batting positions. But he (Iyer) certainly presented a strong case for himself. He completely played in full control and was putting pressure on the bowlers. Really good tempo, good really character. Thankfully, it’s not a fracture (about his injury), just a split on the nail in the front. I think I should be fine for the first Test,” the skipper said after the match.