Southeast Poised for Electrification, Industrial Development

first_imgSoutheastern Liberia is set to experience its most serious development undertaking in the history of the region.Lands Mines and Energy Minister Patrick Sendolo, in an exclusive interview with the Daily Observer early Monday morning, revealed that to begin with, the electrical lines are now being tested for Harper and Pleebo in Maryland County to receive electricity from La Cote d’Ivoire.  It is only a matter of time, probably weeks, before the Maryland’s two principal cities will be fully electrified.The Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy (LME) and the Liberia Electricity Corporation (LEC), in collaboration with the West Africa Power Pool (WAPP), are also working expeditiously to extend the power lines on to Fish Town, the capital of River Gee  County.As for Grand Gedeh County, Minister Sendolo says the lines have already been constructerd and are now being run from La Cote d’Ivoire to the bordering Toe Town in the county’s northeastern tip.  The lines will then travel through Zwedru and on to Tappita in Nimba County, on through the rest of the Mah-Dan country, then enter Bong County and onward to Lofa County.Zwedru-Greenville Paved HighwayThere were four other highly  significant revelations which  Minister Sendolo shared with the Daily Observer in yesterday’s interview.  First, he said the Putu Iron Ore Mines are about to receive the   license to commence mining and exporting iron ore from that mountain in 2016. In addition, said the LME Minister, because of the government’s insistence, as part of the agreement with Putu Mines, the company is to build a paved highway from Zwedru, capital of Grand Gedeh County, to Greenville, Sinoe County.  This will be a major development undertaking, that will make the entire southeastern region accessible not only to southeasterners, but to people from all over Liberia, who will be exposed to the beauties of that region, its many rainforests and especially the ecological gem of the southeast, the Sapo National Forest.The road will be a major spark for touristic development in Liberia’s vast interior.  It will also be good for business, and for healthcare delivery.According to Minister Sendolo, Putu Mines have already commenced the feasibility and design for the paved road, and the project should be underway within a year.The next major industrial development undertaking in the southeast is that the Hummingbird Gold Mining Company will commence industrial mining beginning in Grand Gedeh County.Most of the gold mining in the country has so far consisted of “alluvial mining,” Minister Sendolo said.  This is mining in the rivers using pans. Miners dig into the water, extract the mud and shake the pans until the gold is found.  Hummingbird’s industrial mining is scheduled to commence within a year and promises to be a major industrial undertaking, using heavy industrial equipment that will penetrate the rocks to get the gold.  Many jobs could be created by this undertaking.Finally, the LME Minister told the Daily Observer that Golden Veroleum, one of the world’s leading palm oil producing companies, is about to come into production in Sinoe County, where it is operating.This company is on record as saying they are not here simply to produce palm oil, but to refine the commodity into finished and semi-finished products for local consumption and export.The company started out with a series of conflicts with the local people, who complained that it had infiltrated their farmland and sacred areas.  But of late the company has considerably improved its public relations, and has now won the almost unanimous consent of the people to continue GV’s operations. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Middlesbrough to sign Borussia Dortmund defender in a deal worth up to £9m

first_imgNeven Subotic is set to join Middlesbrough from Borussia Dortmund in a deal worth up to £9million.Subotic, 28 has agreed a three-year contract with newly-promoted Boro, with the move subject to a work permit being granted.The Dortmund centre-back decided to make the switch after extensive talks with the Premier League side’s boss Aitor Karanka and a visit to their impressive training ground at Rockliffe Park.Subotic was an integral part of the Dortmund side that won back-to-back Bundesliga titles in 2011 and 2012.But the experienced defender only made six Bundesliga appearances last season and announced he would leave the Westfalenstadion this summer following the arrival of Barcelona stopper Marc Barta.Subotic retired from international football in 2013, but Boro are confident a work permit will be granted.The former Mainz defender will be Boro’s sixth summer signing and, with a deal already in place for free agent Gaston Ramirez, Karana will be pleased with the business he has carried out in the summer transfer window. Neven Subotic in action for Borussia Dortmund 1last_img read more

ONE MORE GAME: Del Norte advances to first state championship game in program history, beats The Kings Academy 21-14

first_imgThe Warriors, fresh off winning the program’s first-ever section title a week ago, will have an opportunity to capture a state championship for the first time in team history.O.J. Calleja rushed for two touchdowns and the Del Norte football team beat The Kings Academy (TKA) 21-14 in the NorCal region Division 5-AA state bowl game, Friday night on the road in Sunnyvale.Del Norte (13-1) quarterback Calleja gave the Warriors an early lead, punching in a 1-yard touchdown run midway through the …last_img read more

After another semis exit, Victolero hopes Star learns from experience

first_imgWATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage MOST READ 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Star sorely missed presence of Pingris, admits Barroca View comments LATEST STORIES What ‘missteps’? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next This is the second straight conference that the Hotshots had lost in the semifinals, and Victolero knows they have to learn their lessons come the Governors’ Cup.READ: Victolero, Star still positive despite another frustrating lossFEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I think we need to get through these kinds of situations before we get to where we want to be,” said Victolero after the Hotshots lost 109-102 in Game 4 against the Beermen at Mall of Asia Arena. “We have to experience this as a group.”Victolero’s first stint with Star was in the 2016-2017 Philippine Cup where he led the Hotshots to a 7-4 record before losing to eventual runners-up Ginebra in seven games in the semifinals.center_img Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netStar head coach Chito Victolero remained positive even as the Hotshots lost their ticket to the PBA after three straight losses to the San Miguel Beermen.Victolero said they first have to experience setbacks, such as their semifinals loss to the Beermen, if they ever want to reach the next level.ADVERTISEMENT Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH And though there are proper excuses for Star’s fall in the playoffs, Victolero refuses to use those to mask the fact that they failed to qualify for the title round.READ: Victolero: Star needs to ‘refocus, stay together’ Power forward Marc Pingris never played a single game in the Commissioner’s Cup and that took a massive chunk from Victolero’s frontcourt rotation.“I think there are excuses, like Ping isn’t with us but we can’t use that excuse anymore,” said Victolero. “We have to be ready whether we have another injured player in the future, we have to learn from this experience.”ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

US durable goods orders down 37 per cent in January

first_imgWASHINGTON – New orders for long-lasting manufactured goods fell 3.7 per cent in January, the biggest decline since July 2017, following two months of increases that reflected strength in the country’s industry.The Commerce Department said Tuesday that orders were depressed by a 10 per cent drop in demand for transportation equipment, a category that can bounce around from month to month. Excluding transportation, durable goods orders slipped only 0.3 per cent. Orders for defence capital goods plunged 26.3 per cent. Excluding defence, new durable goods orders fell 2.7 per cent.Overall orders in January for durable goods, which are meant to last at least three years, decreased 3.7 per cent to $239.7 billion. Orders were up 5.8 per cent for the full year 2017, the best showing in six years.American manufacturers have benefited from a pickup in global economic growth and a weaker dollar, which makes U.S. goods less expensive in foreign markets.Details:—The Commerce Department downgraded the December increase in durable goods orders to 2.6 per cent from the 2.9 per cent gain it originally reported.—January orders for computers increased 6.4 per cent after falling 4.9 per cent in December.—Machinery orders fell 0.4 per cent after gaining 0.5 per cent the previous month.last_img read more

Miller Mayhem Fundraiser

first_imgAs well as music there will be a Silent Auction, 50/50 Draw, Guitar Raffle, Refreshments and Midnight Lunch as ‘Dale takes the lead on ALS.’There will be Safe Rides to and from the event.In October 2018, Dale Miller was given the diagnosis of familial Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). A very rare condition, the incidence of ALS in Canada is 2/100,000 and of those cases, 5-10% is the familial type of ALS. There are only about 150-300 people in Canada with familial ALS.A GoFundMe Account has been set up in Miller’s name as the Account says, ‘With ALS, everyone’s situation progresses in an unpredictable fashion but leads to the same outcome. This is a fatal condition and there is no hope for a cure in Dale’s lifetime. Dale’s remaining time will include a gradual, but certain, decline in mobility and independence.’The Account goes on to share Dale has been unable to work since his diagnosis and having lived a life of modest means and hard work, often seasonal in nature, financial resources are extremely limited. Dale and Pam are already trying to prepare for the financial and emotional challenges they will need to face together.Dale and Pam have lived and worked in the Fort St. John, BC, area for many years. Many know Dale as a musician as he has been actively engaged in the live music scene around town, playing in various ensembles, both formally and informally, (some of you may know him as “Sea-legs” or “Silverback” or “Big Sexy”). FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Miller Mayhem Benefit Event is set to help raise funds for Dale Miller and his battle with ALS.The Fundraiser has been set to take place at the Taylor Curling Club on Saturday, May 11th, 2019 from 7 pm – 1:30 am. Entry to the Event is by Donation.Several local musicians will be performing the night such as Rob Fraser, Cory Hipkiss, Airik Clark, Smokey Roads, Inroads and Rob Doucette and friends. To view the GoFundMe; CLICK HERE To view the FB Event; CLICK HERElast_img read more

Blast in rebel-held Yemen capital killed 14 schoolchildren: UN

first_imgSanaa: An explosion near two schools in the rebel-held Yemeni capital killed 14 children and wounded 16, the UN said Tuesday, but the cause of the weekend blast remains unclear. Most of the child casualties in the city’s Saewan district were girls under the age of nine, according to statements by both the UN children’s fund (UNICEF) and the UN special envoy for Yemen. Yemen’s Huthi rebels have accused a Saudi-led military coalition backing the government of carrying out an air strike. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US The coalition denied conducting any air raids on the capital on Sunday. “A blast in Sanaa this week killed 14 children and critically injured 16. This is what UNICEF was able to verify, with the actual number of children killed and injured likely to increase,” said UNICEF’s Middle East and North Africa director, Geert Cappelaere. “It was almost lunchtime and students were in class. The blast shattered the windows and unleashed a burst of shrapnel and broken glass into the classrooms.” Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls The United Nations and international aid groups have called for an investigation into the Sunday explosion but have not apportioned blame. The World Health Organization estimates nearly 10,000 Yemenis have been killed since 2015, when Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened to prevent the defeat of the government in the face of a rebel offensive. Human rights groups say the real death toll is several times higher. The conflict has pushed millions of Yemenis to the brink of mass starvation, in what the UN has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Both sides stand accused of actions that could amount to war crimes. The coalition has been blacklisted by the UN for the killing of children. Saudi Arabia and its allies accuse the Huthis of using civilians as human shields in densely populated areas.last_img read more

Trump campaign raises $30 mn in Jan-March

first_imgWashington DC: President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign is set to report that it raised more than USD 30 million in the first quarter of 2019, edging out his top two Democratic rivals combined, according to figures it provided to The Associated Press. The haul brings the campaign’s cash on hand to USD 40.8 million, an unprecedented war chest for an incumbent president this early in a campaign. The Trump campaign said nearly 99 per cent of its donations were of USD 200 or less, with an average donation of USD 34.26. Trump’s fundraising ability was matched by the Republican National Committee, which brought in USD 45.8 million in the first quarter its best non-election year total. Combined, the pro-Trump effort is reporting USD 82 million in the bank, with USD 40.8 million belonging to the campaign alone. Trump formally launched his reelection effort just hours after taking office in 2017, earlier than any incumbent has in prior years. By contrast, former President Barack Obama launched his 2012 effort in April 2011 and had under USD 2 million on hand at this point in the campaign. Obama went on to raise more than USD 720 million for his reelection. Trump’s reelection effort has set a USD 1 billion target for 2020. Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale said in a statement that Trump “is in a vastly stronger position at this point than any previous incumbent president running for re-election, and only continues to build momentum.” Trump’s fundraising with the RNC is divided between two entities: Trump Victory, the joint account used for high-dollar gifts, and the Trump Make America Great Again Committee, the low-dollar digital fundraising operation known internally as “T-Magic.” The campaign is set to launch a traditional “bundling” programme which it lacked in 2016 in the coming weeks. Bundlers are mid-tier donors who bring in contributions from their associates. Together, the Trump entities have raised a combined USD 165.5 million since 2017. Trump is benefiting from the advantages of incumbency, like universal name recognition and his unrivaled position atop the Republican Party. Among Democrats, dollars are divided across a candidate field of well more than a dozen, while the Democratic National Committee remains in debt and has suffered from being dramatically outraised by the RNC in recent months. Bernie Sanders topped the Democratic field in the first quarter, raising slightly more than USD 18 million, followed by Kamala Harris with USD 12 million and Beto O’Rourke with USD 9.4 million. Trump is reporting a haul of USD 30.3 million. Republicans have trailed Democrats in online fundraising ever since the medium was invented roughly two decades ago. But Trump has closed the gap, driving small-dollar donors who make recurring donations to the GOP like the party has never seen before. According to RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, Trump’s campaign has already had eight seven-figure fundraising days this year, and has taken in money from more than 1 million new online donors since Trump’s inauguration including 1,00,000 this year. The Republican committee said it is planning on spending USD 30 million on maintaining and growing Trump’s email list alone, recently expanded its headquarters space to an annex in Virginia and will soon invest in developing an app. In 2015, Trump swore off outside money, declaring in his opening speech: “I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists’. I’m not using donors’. I don’t care. I’m really rich.”last_img read more

Football Ohio State drops six spots to No 8 in latest AP

Wide receiver K.J. Hill (14) and coach Urban Meyer sing Carmen in front of the student section following their 31-16 loss to Oklahoma. Credit Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorFollowing Ohio State’s 31-16 loss to Oklahoma at home Saturday, the Buckeyes have dropped six spots from No. 2 to No. 8 in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll. The victor in that game replaced Ohio State as the No. 2 team.The top five consists of No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Oklahoma, No. 3 Clemson, No. 4 USC and No. 5 Penn State. Michigan is the only other Big Ten team besides Penn State to be ranked ahead of Ohio State at No. 7.In total, the Big Ten has four teams in the top 25. After Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State, Wisconsin placed at No. 10, moving down one spot from last week. Three teams in the conference received votes as Maryland received 42, Iowa had two and Michigan State had one.Ohio State will look to rebound next Saturday when it hosts Army at 4:30 p.m.AP Poll Alabama (58)Oklahoma (2)Clemson (1)USCPenn StateWashingtonMichiganOhio StateOklahoma StateWisconsinFlorida StateLSUGeorgiaLouisvilleAuburnVirginia TechMiami (FL)Kansas StateStanfordTCUWashington StateSouth FloridaTennesseeFloridaUCLA read more

Luis Alberto happy with important Lazio win

first_imgLuis Alberto praised Lazio’s important victory over Bologna, as they capitalised on AC Milan’s slip up away to FrisononeGoals from Luiz Felipe and Senad Lulic secured three points for Inzaghi’s men who closed the gap to within two points of Inter, who play Napoli tonight.However, the former Liverpool and Malaga player was buzzing after his team wrapped up what he described as a vital win in the race for a top-four spot.Fonseca hints Smalling could debut tomorrow Manuel R. Medina – August 31, 2019 AS Roma manager Paulo Fonseca has hinted Chris Smalling could debut in tomorrow’s Derby Della Capitale between his team and Lazio.“The important thing for the team was to get the win,” Luis Alberto told Football Italia via DAZN.“We’ve got three points on the board with two games in quick succession, we hope to keep going like this on Saturday and consolidate fourth place.“We knew Milan had drawn, so that was just one more motivation to win. The important thing is to keep going like this and finish the year well on Saturday.”last_img read more